Self build shed opinion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im looking to build a shed 2.4mx1.0m so it fits into a small awkward space in the garden. It'll be a pent roof sloping rearward with double doors to the front.

I fancied the rustic look whilst keeping it watertight. My plan was to use 3x3 fence posts for the uprights on each corner with a further 2 at the front each side of the doors and one in the centre at the back. I'd then use 4x2 as joists for the floor and roof framing to create the frame. Once all that's done, featheredge boards on frames inside the 3x3 posts and probably OSB sheet on the floor and roof before felting. 16mm t&g for the doors.

It's not very wide so I may be over egging the pudding or for what it'll cost, I may be able to get an equally decent shed. Reckon it'll be in the region of £450

Build or or just buy one off the peg? So many seem to be just 12mm t&g

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I had a well built, shiplap shed, 8' x 6' a couple of years ago for that price. Delivered and erected. Most of the shed companies (especially those attached to sawmills) will build to your spec.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back