1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Self-Drill Plasterboard Screws

Discussion in 'General DIY' started by AdamM2012, 17 Mar 2021.

1. AdamM2012

AdamM2012

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi,

I've recently bought some "Diall Self drill Steel Cavity plugs" which I have been using successfully to hang pictures and things up - https://www.diy.com/departments/dia...lug-dia-14mm-l-32mm-pack-of-25/1511940_BQ.prd

The screws that come with them can't be screwed all the way in. A good 6mm or so of the screw head is left protruding, which is fine for things that hang off the screw (such as a clock for example), but not when I need to have a tighter fit, such as when trying to screw some curtain brackets to the wall.

Does anyone know of a product I can use? I've looked on screwfix and other places, but all of these types of product seem to be the same, where the screw can't be screwed all the way in.

I hope my question makes sense!

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Swwils

Swwils

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Use the Fischer versions of these self drilling plasterboard fixing, they do several variations.

The screw goes all the way through and also provides a slight expansion for futher security of the fixing.

4. AdamM2012

AdamM2012

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  5. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Just use different screws!

6. lostinthelight

lostinthelight

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Before screwing in the self drilling part hold it in a grips , screw the fixing screw in to tap the thread, remove it again and cut off the excess that would stop it going all the way in. The end may need a little dressing on a grinding wheel/ disc so it doesnt bind.

7. foxhole

foxhole

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Use nylon self drill plugs, they accept a wide range of screw and come in two sizes.

8. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

9. Sponsored Links