self leveling compound cracks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We had self leveling compound laid about a week ago by our builders in our shower room and through to our kitchen/diner, i`ve been cleaning today and i`ve noticed cracking (5 places) and breaking at the edges near the patio doors. It was laid onto plywood boards (in the kitchen area) , concrete in the shower room, but they didnt put any sealant/pva down on the boards first. Could this be whats causing it.
We are going to have floating engineered wood flooring put down on top.
Any ideas if we will be ok, or are we going to have issues later on?

thanks
IMG_20180512_150614.jpg IMG_20180512_150625.jpg IMG_20180512_150630.jpg

Sponsored Links
The self levelling should not be doing that, it looks to have been mixed incorrectly and certainly laid too thickly in the door area.

You run the very real risk of the screed breaking up under the Floated Engineered Flooring causing crackling noises etc.

Could be stress cracks. If on to thick, more then 6mm it can crack. If not primed and a water mix which it could be I’d say the whole lot needs to come up.

ok thanks, not what i was wanting to hear. It also goes under our newly tiled shower room. Will it have to come up? or is there a chance it maybe ok.
I can only see things are going to get worse when the underfloor heating is on.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Can you find out what compound it is ?
All depends if it’s loose. Tap it and if loose then a problem.

Maybe in the parts it’s cracked it’s on more then 5mm. As you are floating on it you should be ok.
Anywhere loose maybe take up and fill it with rapid repair mortar

My concern is more the tiled shower room where they used the slc to bring up the level in half of the room and put the electric underfloor heating in there aswell.
Think it needs to be connected up and see what happens. I just wonder what will happen in the depths of winter when its going from cold to hot i can see it cracking.
We have at least used flexible adhesive and grout in there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back