Self-leveling Garage Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a new build garage with a slight slope from left to right on the concrete floor (about 5mm but not measured). The builder has bunged down some SLC before I moved in, no idea what kind but it's about 7mm in some places, featheredge thin in others. There is no DPM so I have rising damp and I doubt any preparation has been done to the concrete prior to putting the SLC down (although it wouldn't have been green concrete since the DPM went in a month or two after the slab was poured) so of course its all lifting and flaking off. Plus it's dusty!

I want to put an epoxy DPM down and then some epoxy floor paint as the garage is used for storage.

I'm going to grind the failed SLC up but then I'll need to deal with the slope. I have a few questions:

- Will an angle grinder with diamond concrete bit get rid of the old stuff?
- Can anyone recommend an SLC that is suitable to laying on top of a garage floor that is probably slightly damp (going to wait to summer though). Was pondering Stopgap 850 or one of the Sika products? I want to put a liquid DPM on top and paint after.
- I am proposing to get a laser floor level (e.g. Huepar FL360G) and aim for a minimum level all the way round (most seem to want 4mm) plus whatever is needed in the 'low' areas. I am assuming I can mark walls from the laser or indeed my own version of SLC tripods. Is this the best way to do this? I want to ensure a level finish but also that there is enough SLC in the high areas to stop it lifting

I've given up on the builder for this (but I might negotiate to see if they will at least get the old stuff cleared off for me as I think they have concrete grinders on site); I want it done right. It seems their default is 'bung down some SLC' without any thought of how it will work going forward.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back