Garage Floor Options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

I have an integral garage, with a doorway in from the porch. I would like to put in a stud wall to partition off the back section of the garage so that it can be used to house some gym equipment.

I don't want to do anything fancy, and I want to keep the costs right down, but also don't want to mess it up.

The part I would like some guidance with is the flooring. The current floor is just cement; it is level, but a bit rough, so I would like to smooth it over. I was thinking SLC, but there are a couple of things I am not sure about. The doorway into the garage from the porch is not very far off the existing floor, so I dont have much depth available for the SLC. I have read that I should be aiming for about 75mm depth, but I think I will be limited to no more than 10mm. I have also read that I could get away with a bonded SLC, but then I am not sure if I should put down a liquid DPM first or whether I need the DPM at all.

Sorry this is a bit of a ramble, but any guidance would be really appreciated.

I am a keen DIYer and have the confidence to try a new DIY task, but in this case I am struggling to find the information I need on the web.

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
You seem to be confusing self levelling compound (SLC) with floor screed.

Floor screed needs to be laid with a minimum thickness in excess of say 40mm bonded or say 75mm with moisture control etc.

SLC is a levelling compound that is laid quite thinly and needs to be laid directly onto the concrete and will not tolerate any dpm. This also requires further covering via tiles, carpet etc to prevent further damage from moderate impact.

Fantastic Noseall, that is a great help. In two sentences you've made sense of the confusing information I got from a whole lot of different websites. I feel happy that I know how to go forward.

Thanks very much

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back