Run waterpipe under garage floor or round edge of founds?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to have a tap in my (yet to be built) garage. The tap will be at the point in the garage farthest away from the rest of the house. If I want to run an MDPE pipe to this tap (and on from there to a greenhouse further down the garden) am I better off running the MDPE pipe under the concrete floor of the garage or round the edge of the garage foundations?

If I stick it under the garage floor then I would worry that if anything went wrong I would have to dig up the garage floor to get to it.

The spec for the garage floor construction is 150mm concrete (inlcuding mesh) on 75mm insulation on DPM on 50mm quarry dust on 200mm hardcore. If I run the MDPE pipe under the concrete floor should I run it through the quarry dust under the DPM or would I be better off cutting a channel in the insulation and laying it in that?

Thanks very much.

Sponsored Links
Run it right under the lot, i.e. through the hardcore. Obviously don't put any joints in it under the concrete and then you have no need to worry about anything?

Thanks for that. Isn't there a danger that when I put the wacker plate over the hardcore it will damage the MDPE pipe?

Sponsored Links
As with all cables and pipes underground it should be surrounded by dust.

Sorry i should have mentioned that :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back