Liquid DPM -> then screed -> then self levelling compound

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of converting my 8.5m x 3m garage into a home workshop. The floor is old concrete and dips ~25mm in the middle.

My plan so far was:
- fix up any cracks and dodgy bits in the current concrete floor
- lay a liquid dpm
- finish with a self levelling compound

I spoke to Everbuild/Sika and they were able to recommend a DPM paint and compound that would bond together, by priming the final layer of dpm with sand. My problem is, I will end up spending about a grand on the SLC, not something I have the budget for really.

I then considered laying a layer of screed to take up most of the depth and finish with SLC. However, I don't have the headroom in the garage for a thick layer of screed as I believe the min. thickness is around 50mm (?).

Can I bulk out the SLC with sand or is there a screed mix that can be laid thinner?

I'm not after a perfect-perfect level floor as I will be laying a rubber workshop matting over the top to be easy on the feet.

Any input appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Liquid screeds can be laid thinner than 50mm, so I'm told... but they are not the cheapest... if you can find someone with a concrete pump, you might be able to do a 'deal', you wouldn't need to fill any dodgy bits.

Don't think you can bulk out SLC without making it weaker, but willing to be proved wrong.

I didn’t think bulking out SLC with (sharp) sand weakened it, I thought the manufacturer stated it was ok, just that it’s no longer self levelling

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back