Self levelling concrete vs liquid screed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm planning to use a Cube6 suspended floor with wet UFH in my extension. They specify self levelling concrete as the structural topping. Will this give as good a final surface as liquid screed? I asked them whether liquid screed could be used instead but they just pointed me to the document about the self levelling concrete without answering the question yes or no...

I've also read that liquid screed is more efficient than concrete for the UFH - is this right?

Thanks for any help.
Jack

Sponsored Links
Personally I would stick to the manufacturers recommendations

I've no idea why this company would specify SLC over a liquid screed. I have the latter and it is very dense - about 140kg/m2 for 60 mm thickness from memory and very flat. Once again from memory, I believe the flatness was 5 mm over 1 m on the quote but the operator said that 2 mm would be more normal and that was achieved. The only thing I would say is, if you go for liquid screed, make sure you get one that doesn't require the surface to be abraded a couple of days later to remove laitance, as this is both messy and has cost implications.

Liquid screed is reckoned to give better heat transmission because it fully encases the pipes and should not have any voids. Cannot think of any advantages for SLC although have only used it up to 6 mm thick over small areas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back