Selling house, serviced boiler - failed due to low gas pressure.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I've just had the boiler serviced and it failed due to low gas pressure.
Boiler installed in 2014 by a "mate" plumber (Gas safe registered etc), commissioning sheet states pressure was 19mb.

In 2017 we altered the kitchen, moved the gas stove by extending the gas line to it.
Gas comes in from meter (wall-mount, front of house) on 22mm copper, around a 13m run through the house/loft into the kitchen with maybe 6-8 bends and then T's off to boiler and stove respectively.

Pressure at the boiler - a Bosh 28i Junior - was apparently 18mb, when the stove burners were turned on it dropped to 16.

The chap who serviced it last said it would take another 23m of copper 28mm running around the house which will a) look ugly b) cost an additional £600 (£350 in copper alone)

Between 2014 and now the have dug our road and re-laid gas pipe and reconnected each house (was a right mess).

Two questions -
1. Could it be that the meter is is not allowing the flow it should and therefor a drop in pressure.
2. The initial install in 2014 was not commissioned correctly or "flexibility" was used in measuring the gas pressure?

C

Sponsored Links
It could well be a meter regulator fault, however even if there was a regulator fault your pipe is still undersized according to my gas pipe sizing calculator, so it needs upgrading anyway.

Assuming 8kW for a standard gas hob, that brings your total to 36kW....

Screenshot_20211006-153319_Gas Pipe Sizing Calculator.jpg

Which results in a calculation requiring the minimum size to be 28mm

Screenshot_20211006-153336_Gas Pipe Sizing Calculator.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thanks Andrew. That aligns with what the chap was saying last night. "first 3 lengths need to be 28mm".
Ho hum, I guess it was dodge from the word go :(

Thanks for the help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back