Semi buried gas meter box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Being as us normal folk aren't allowed in the gas section I've posted here...

I'm putting a semi buried gas meter box on the side of my porch in preparation for a meter move (long way off in the future)

Going to shutter off a section in the screed floor in the porch for the gas pipe to run in back to the kitchen, wooden planks to sit on top which can be lifted to gain access to the slot when the time comes to put gas pipe in (not me doing that bit).

It would be a much easier run if the pipe exited the meter box on the left, all the pictures I have seen show them exiting on the right, is it possible to exit from the left, or even better out of the back of the box and straight through the wall, or am I creating problems for myself?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
When you refer to "The pipe", do you mean the supply to the meter, or the domestic pipe that carries gas to your appliances?

Bernard has not given you correct advice which is not surprising as he is not gas registered.

The NG only connect the supply to the meter inlet. They normally expect to supply the meter box but would probably agree to use yours.

How the outlet connection is made depends on what the gas reg installer is willing to do. There are no very mandatory rules about how that is done.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Bernard has not given you correct advice which is not surprising as he is not gas registered.

No I am not Gas Registered, but I was able to arrange to have the wall mounted gas meter replaced by a semi concealled ( half buried ) one both here in my cottage and in my previous house when it was extended. You may not realise it but anyone can talk to National Grid to discuss how the meter will be installed.

The advice I was offering was that Keymeister should discuss with National Grid how they would bring their pipe to the meter so that when Keymeister does the work he does not make it impossible or very expensive for National Grid technicians to get their pipe to the meter.

Yes, but he was not questioning how the feed is to be connected.

He was asking about the OUTLET pipe which is not the responsibility of NG.

Tony

Yes Tony but there are two pipes to the meter. No good the new box being installed and then finding the supply pipe cannot be routed to that location. Be a shame if the new screed floor had to be cut into to enable the supply pipe to be installed.

A Gas Safe registered plumber made a meter move much more expensive for the client by not discussing the new route of the incoming supply pipe with National Grid.

I did mean the consumer gas pipe off the meter to boiler etc, not the gas service pipe off the main, as I understand it that always has to come in on the left, that bit isn't critical as Im just laying a gas duct under the drive way ready.
I wasn't planning on putting a meter box in yet, just wanted to get some measurements and shutter a bit of the floor off to save cutting concrete out later or save running the pipe surface mounted round the outside (yuk). If it doesn't matter how the gas pipe gets from the meter box to the house, I'll crack on....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back