Gas - Meter outlet through base of meter box?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can the outlet from the gas meter pass down through the BASE of the meter box rather than through the side?

Box - Unibox Universal Meter Box (can be semi-submerged upto 75mm but mine isn't), surface mounted on wall
Meter - G4

The Unibox has knockouts on the sides which is where the outlet currently passes through in 22mm copper.
The outlet currently runs along the attached garage wall internally. The garage is coming down so the pipe needs to be buried underground from meter to the point where it passes through the house exterior wall into the kitchen.

The GasSafe plumber says he hasn't done an underground job in over 20 years and he will have to look at whether the pipe run will be yellow plastic or "TrackPipe" in stainless steel.
He said "better be safe" in having the outlet pipe exit the meter box through the side - but it will look rubbish.
So, can the outlet pass down through the base instead?

Sponsored Links
"Better be Safe" rings alarm bells. He should know how to do the job and there's no reason why you cannot have a bottom exit (no pun intended)

Thanks Jackrae
I think it was me telling him that the meter box can be semi-submerged that threw him, and he is experienced.
I see there is a nice boss cast into the box base to mount the inlet to. Shame there isn't one for the outlet.

Thanks Jackrae
I think it was me telling him that the meter box can be semi-submerged that threw him, and he is experienced.
I see there is a nice boss cast into the box base to mount the inlet to. Shame there isn't one for the outlet.
with meter etc in you would struggle to get the space to exit through the bottom . just elbow it straight down as it comes out the box

Sponsored Links
Looking at the box again there is a knockout type impression in the base identical for that used by the inlet. It was drilled out.
So obviously the manufacturer intended for an outlet through the base.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back