Connecting the Outlet pipe to the gas meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to have my gas meter moved and have been assured that there is no charge for connecting the outlet pipe to the gas meter.

At this late stage I have been told that I need to pay a contractor to do it.

I do not even know what an outlet pipe is.

Can someone please tell me what is involved and the likely cost.

Thanks

JamesEB

Sponsored Links
Impossible to quote over a forum, it can't be DIY'd so give someone whose gas safe a call and they'll let you know!

Thanks. Can you please say what an outlet pipe is and what involved.

Thanks
JamesEB

I am about to have my gas meter moved and have been assured that there is no charge for connecting the outlet pipe to the gas meter.

At this late stage I have been told that I need to pay a contractor to do it.

I do not even know what an outlet pipe is.
The outlet pipe is self-explanatory: it's the pipe which comes out of the meter and supplies gas to the boiler etc.
If the meter's new location means the existing outlet pipe is not suitable, e.g. too short, you will need the pipe extended, which can only be done by someone who is Gas Safe registered. This will be chargeable.

Edit: boiler's changed to meter's

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks. It's the meter that is being moved rather than the boiler.

They are cutting off the old supply and providing a new one. Yes, the outlet pipe is not near the new meter point.

But, I don't know what is to be done about it.

JamesEB

National Grid will install the meter in the new position. You will need a Gas Safe registered engineer to come and connect the pipework from the old meter position to the new meter position. They may not reconnect your supply until this is done to their satisfaction.

Thanks.

I realise it is not possible to give a price on here but could you give me some idea. Is it hundreds?

Thanks
JamesEB

Just curious, (I am oil fired heating and don't have a gas supply btw), if the gas board were to move the meter simply for their benefit, e.g. present location means its hard to read, would they be responsible for costs of re-connecting home owners pipework?

Is it being moved at your request or are they renewing mains ? And putting it somewhere else? Just out of curiousity...I had a job the other day grid had moved meter as mains being renewed so meter put at front of house and one of their guys piped the boiler and hob back up FOC.

It's being done by SGN for safety reasons. They are doing everything else but say they do not connect the outlet pipe to the meter and will leave it capped as above.

I would like a very rough idea of the cost. Hundreds?

Thanks
JamesEB

Weird, we have Wales and west round here and as above piped it all FOC which I was under the illusion they wouldn't do. depends how far each appliance is from the meter, what size pipe, what appliance/s, but it's not gonna be the £50 answer your looking for. Give it your best guess and times that by 10 imo.

National grid round here pipe up to existing gas pipework if they move the meter.
Call their bluff and tell them you expect it reconnected. It's them that's moving the meter not you.

I suspect it will depend upon the reason for the "safety" move. If,for example, there has been a porch or extension built over the service, then this is a safety issued caused by the householder, his agents or a previous occupant. Therefore not the fault of NG.

112 would be the one to point out the best method of getting a freebie. The success in this type of thing is often in not what you say, but to whom and how.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back