Just had gas meter reinstated should it have been left this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wasn't in the property other half dealt with it. Property had meter removed due to previous owner not paying the bill. Completed on house last friday, had live or dead test done on the Monday and meter installed today (by national grid). Moved lever to the on position and went to boiler to fire up and no gas was present checked gas hob and no gas. Went back to meter to discover a label stating that the outlet of the meter has been plugged awaiting piping and commissioning of appliances by corgi person. Should the meter have been left like this? I now need to call a gas safe out to unplug this seal which is obviously going to cost.

thanks

Sponsored Links
The National Grid employee may only be qualified to install the meter and no more. National Grid are only responsible up to the meter outlet so you need to use a gas-safe installer to check the rest of the installation out.

Sponsored Links
Ok, though that was what the isolating valve on the incomming was for. Understand he is only trained on installing meter but thought it would have been switched off at valve and not require me to lay out for someone to unplug. As you say generates a bit of work. Not too fussed as it is going to be a rented property so need to get someone out anyway but would have prefered to at least have been able to fire boiler up and check circulation before getting gas safe out also could have cjecked the gas stove to make sure you couldnt turn of quickly and loose ignition.

cheers

PS mega fast responce

Nothing to do with what NG guys are qualified to do. Its rules and regs and down to cust to get appliances checked

they are not allowed to connect a supply to "untested" appliances
and the meter fitter aint covered to do the tests

who knows whats on the end or branched off that pipe

so they fit the meter and cap it

standard practice

the rest is up to you my son

get a decent RGI ;)

Finished an install in an office in London once and waited for meter to be fitted. Customer rang back to let me know the meter had been fitted but the fitters couldn't get the heating to work, they purged the line and lit the pilot turning the system on.

The AQ6000 takes a few minutes to start up , nothing happened so the meter fitters left.

Unfortunately they didn't think to check whether there was any water in the system. Then the system came on. New boiler.

That's another reason they don't do it.

the onus is on you my son pay up or shut up the network guys are doing what their paid for no more no less. ps pay the reaper. :LOL:

There should be information in the conveyancing documents detailing the condition of the heating system. If this was described as working then you can take legal action against the vendor for leaving it in a non-working state.

There should be information in the conveyancing documents detailing the condition of the heating system. If this was described as working then you can take legal action against the vendor for leaving it in a non-working state.
The vendor did not leave it in a non working state, the gas supplier did. I'm sure he did not volunteer to have the meter removed.

The problem here is the old one of 'the last person to work on a gas installation is responsible at law for all of it.'

That is why the meter fitters can only do what they did.

Meter fitters are qualified to reinstate gas supply, when anyone reinstates a gas supply they have to purge and relight the appliances, which includes visual inspection, the nat grid/ transco guys do this all the time, they do a tightness test to check for let by/ soundness, they then purge and light each appliance and do visual inspection of flue, vent, flame pics etc should they suspect a problem they will put concern for use labels on, or if they suspect an ID situation they will just cap at meter, its not there responsibiltiy to cap at appliance or do detailed checks burner pressures, flue gas analysis etc etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back