Moving gas meter

Corgiman

I should clarify, in our occasional PJ scenario, the engineer who commissions and signs off GWN is the same engineer who did the PJ. The commissioning and GWN is done in official time.

You may be right, perhaps in doing this we are not following Corgi procedures - I will check with our local representative next week. My belief is that you are wrong though.

I would add that there is no commercial benefit to us in doing this. These people are CORGI registered, we paid for their training and their registration.

Sponsored Links
simond said:
Corgiman

I should clarify, in our occasional PJ scenario, the engineer who commissions and signs off GWN is the same engineer who did the PJ. The commissioning and GWN is done in official time.

You may be right, perhaps in doing this we are not following Corgi procedures - I will check with our local representative next week. My belief is that you are wrong though.

I would add that there is no commercial benefit to us in doing this. These people are CORGI registered, we paid for their training and their registration.

er sorry mate but i think I have been defending you

please read my posts again or by saying that I am wrong you are saying YOU are wrong :)

Sorry Corgiman

Interpreted your post wrongly, very sorry.... :oops:

simond said:
If Transco's permission has not been given to alter or adapt their equipment, they could prosecute for tampering with their plant. I think they could also argue that you were not trained to work on live gas supplies and therefore were compromising safety.

This is correct & should be noted...( I no doubt will be slated for being your best mate,SimonD, not at all ..you just happen to be correct..)

Sponsored Links
simond said:
I should just add that while a domestic RGI is probably working within his competance moving a meter, the issue is over whether you have rights to alter equipment without the owners permission.
No, the issue is whether it's illegal in terms of the GS(IU)Rs. You appear to agree with me that it is not illegal. As for having the meter owner's permission, of course that is another matter as I have said before, but moving the meter without permission doesn't appear to involve any criminal offence. Nor does it involve working on live gas. We are not talking about alterations upstream of the MCV.

we you agree with one person another who does not agree will call you a brown nose

its boring but a fact ho hum!

i re read my posts and cannot see how you could mis read my intention.

Its still my opinion that advising a RGI without the relevent acs/permission to move a meter is wrong and should not be posted here.

[quote="chrishutt

Providing you're competent to do the work, of course, and excluding interfering with the governor/regulator settings or seal. quote]

Hmmmmm. lots of providing & excluding...

Bamber gaspipe said:
Hmmmmm. lots of providing & excluding...
Well you introduced the red-herring of interfering with the governor setting. There's no reason to touch this in a meter move.

Bamber gaspipe said:
Why in my minds eye do I keep seeing you as about 15 yrs old...must be the moniker..can`t you change it to `Bert` or `Alf` or something...( cue paedophile references etc).. :rolleyes:
You`re very perceptive, that`s why ;) Puerile is perhaps the word you were looking for :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Shame I don`t care what you or any other poster thinks :p T`would be a bit of a conundrum tho` a 15 year old paedo :confused: I`m too polite to say how I invisage you , tho` a gynacologist might have a good idea

A bit vicious & somewhat unprovoked...I feel...if you have nothing of relevance to add to this debate...I suggest that you apply your wisdom elsewhere..

AntJMcD said:
A friend of mine has asked me too move his gas meter about 10 inches and i am qualified to do so but do not usually get involved with a lot of meter work!
as i have not moved a meter before i was just wondering if it was possible/best practice to replace the governor? use semi rigid (annaconda) from the mcv and also the meter outlet? and what fittings will i need to order to connect up with?

Two points worth noting here;

One does the Op sound competent.

Two the meter is not Transco's it's the suppiers.

The service pipe/ecv is where Transco responsibility ends, if the service pipe has to be moved then Transco will move it, the meter mover is done by the suppier.

AntJMcD said:
as i have not moved a meter before i was just wondering if it was possible/best practice to replace the governor? use semi rigid (annaconda) from the mcv and also the meter outlet? and what fittings will i need to order to connect up with?

:rolleyes:

OK, it was the OP who first mentioned changing the governor. I'm sorry to have forgotten that and accused you, Bamber. I avoided answering the OPs question directly because he didn't sound sufficiently competent. But I got drawn in later because others were saying that it was illegal for anyone to move a meter.

That`s O.K. Chris..I find apologising to fellow members is something I am having to do on a regular basis :eek: .. :D :D :D

Fair play Bamber - I respect all of your comments. I have comments on these parts though:

Bamber gaspipe said:
By the way..you`re not really qualified to voice an opinion on this subject
I beg to differ. No offence meant, but being a forum member is the only qualification required in order for anyone to voice an opinion on this or any subject. I assume that your point is really that I'm not an RGI and not entitled to be gainfully engaged on anything gas related, but this topic doesn't require anything more than common sense and a bit of street nouse to make a sensible observation.

...but then again.. you weren`t voicing an opinion.you were just trolling through Agile`s statements...
I'm content that I have a good enough reasons for my comments, and I don't expect you to fully understand, or know about, those reasons. For example, it's one thing to know an awful lot more than someone, but something else entirely to present that knowledge, with due humility, to those of lesser abilities.

I think this is one of those things we're not going to agree on, so I suggest that we simply and amicably agree to disagree.

chrishutt said:
But that's not the same as it being illegal. Transco may have grounds for some sort of civil claim against you if you moved their meter without their permission, but surely no criminal offence would have been committed.
Hm. I haven't had time to check yet, but I would be astonished if The Gas act didn't prohibit the act of doing anything whatsoever with the meter, other than reading it or gently dusting it, without the owner's permission.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back