Separate shower Consumer Unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would be grateful for some help on this topic. A few years ago I installed an electric shower, but recently I have read that the circuit should be protected with an RCD. At present, it is simply protected by a 40A MCB. I found a separate shower CU at Screwfix, but am dubious about how it actually fits into the circuit. Does a connection (separate from the main CU) need to be made from the incoming supply to the house, and if so, how easy is it? I presume that I can't simply insert it into the shower circuit, because how would it connect back to the main CU?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Drood, what is the manufacturer of your consumer unit?

You should be able to change the MCB for an RCBO, this is a device that combines both the overload protection inherent in MCB's, and the Earth Fault protection of the RCD.

You certainly do not need that con job from Screw You direct.

Were did you read that the shower has to be protected by an RCD?

"Ian puts the can of worms on the table"

il78 said:

Most manufacturers recommend it to honour the warranty, the IEE and the NICEIC recommend it as they consider it Good Design, and common sense dictates it.

Sponsored Links
il78 said:

Ian's worms say to him - "why did you put us here - there was no need - drood's original post said I have read that the circuit should be protected with an RCD not I have read that the circuit has to be protected with an RCD"

Thats just being silly....I didnt read it out loud, so my worms cant have known what I said.......

Ian Can't you go fishing with your anti-rcd worms?

No offence!! :LOL:

il78 said:
Thats just being silly....I didnt read it out loud, so my worms cant have known what I said.......

I think your making excuses for your worms now Ian...this is more serious than we first thought Guys!! :D

il78 said:
The worms know all and see all. You are doomed.

The CU is an old Wylex with push in type re-wireable fuses - apart from the shower fuse which is a push-in MCB. Can you get push in RCBO's - I thought they were all DIN rail mountable types now? Oh, and I read about the RCD in some DIY manual, although looking back over the instructions for the shower, it also recommends it there as well. Thanks for your interest!

Never seen RCBOs for that type of Wylex board.....

And would also recommend that the board gets replaced for a new one, I'm sure one of the other BULLIES will back me up.....

With regards to my worms, I aint putting them by my tackle because it all gets confusing....... :cry:

il78 said:
Never seen RCBOs for that type of Wylex board.....

And would also recommend that the board gets replaced for a new one, I'm sure one of the other BULLIES will back me up.....
quote]

OI..who you calling a bully shortarse??? :D

Seriously, Ian is spot on on. These old Wylex boards are worse than useless. You cannot get RCBO's for them and the board is so old it makes Ian seem young ;)

As Ian said, you would be better off upgrading your board.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back