Septic > Mains work done, servicing question - float switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Had some great help on here so far, so thanks in advance for reading.

We moved in to a new house earlier this year and the previous owners have switched from septic tank to mains. However, the house goes against gravity and a tank and pump have been installed over the grassy section outside. All works well and we don't even notice it.

We have to get it serviced every 6 months, which is fine, albeit a few hundred pounds each time. We're getting it serviced for the second time, and the company we've used have said:
"A recent service does not guarantee that a float switch will not fail soon after even though no issues were encountered during the service. Float switches will only be replaced in full sets. We strongly recommend that sets of float switches are replaced annually for continued trouble-free operation. Float switches are provided with a standard 12-month manufacturer’s warranty from the date of purchase."
...which all sounds well and good. But reading online on generic websites suggests these should be changed every 2 years on average.

I understand businesses try to upsell etc, but wanted to check on here how valid their reasoning is. I understand the risk, they could create a fault at any time, but do they really need changing every 12 months at a cost of almost £500?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I work for a water company, and believe me, we have Thousands of Float switches out there. If we replaced them all annually, the cost would be eyewatering! There's not a lot in them to fail I don't think, sounds to me like your maintenance Company are trying to upsell things you don't need.

Floats for a single property setup, I'd imagine you have 3, Pump off, Pump on and High Level alarm, correct me if wrong. Any function to run the pump manually should the floats fail?

If possible consider a Kari float switch,

I asked which ones they use, and the response was: "They are integrally weighted control float switch with neoprene cabling".

I work for a water company, and believe me, we have Thousands of Float switches out there. If we replaced them all annually, the cost would be eyewatering! There's not a lot in them to fail I don't think, sounds to me like your maintenance Company are trying to upsell things you don't need.

Floats for a single property setup, I'd imagine you have 3, Pump off, Pump on and High Level alarm, correct me if wrong. Any function to run the pump manually should the floats fail?

Not sure what the set up is, and there doesn't seem to be much information that I can understand online regarding these pumps. Next time they come in to service it, I'll be sure to ask what the current set up is and what to do if the float fails. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I second what Hugh said above word for word. Look at the control panel and post a photo of it. They are trying to scare you into buying something that you dont need.

I also agree with Hugh, The Kari float switch controlling the pump in our sewage pumping system lasted for more than 15 years.

Thanks all - attached is a picture of the box with the the controls. No idea what any of it does! Blocked out the installer's names just in case.

IMG_4861.jpg

Looks fairly basic to me, you have 2 pumps, duty and assist, although for a small station taking one property, that seems total overkill. One pump should suffice.

Floats, I'd think now with that setup you'd have 4 possibly, duty start, assist start, off and high level alarm. I'm used to installations with a switch offering 'Auto', 'Off' and 'Manual' options, which are pretty self explanatory, Manual being used to override the level controls and run the pumps to lower the level in fault conditions or when servicing the station.

I'd honestly be inclined to leave it until there is a problem, or look for another Service Provider who doesn't want to change parts for the sake of it....

Looks fairly basic to me, you have 2 pumps, duty and assist, although for a small station taking one property, that seems total overkill. One pump should suffice.

Floats, I'd think now with that setup you'd have 4 possibly, duty start, assist start, off and high level alarm. I'm used to installations with a switch offering 'Auto', 'Off' and 'Manual' options, which are pretty self explanatory, Manual being used to override the level controls and run the pumps to lower the level in fault conditions or when servicing the station.

I'd honestly be inclined to leave it until there is a problem, or look for another Service Provider who doesn't want to change parts for the sake of it....

Thank you so much, really useful. Will be looking at alternatives after the next service after checking the warranty, asking what I need to know etc.

I'm sure it goes without saying, look after the pumps and they'll look after you. Nothing down the WC (apart from toilet paper) unless it's been through you first, and avoid putting fat down the sink. They should happily pump sewage all day long, it's wipes, etc that cause issues!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back