Septic tank effluent filters - anyone using one? Why so unpopular in the UK?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I came across septic tank filters recently and will be getting one for my tank. It sits in the vertical part of the outlet T pipe and helps keep any remaining suspended solids out of the drainage field. Apparently they are widely used in a lot of the rest of the world, but not in the UK. I wondered why? They're cheap and seemingly effective, so I'm puzzled as to why they're not installed as standard. It seems many people haven't even heard of them, and a lot of the large drainage companies don't even sell them.

Is anyone here using one? Any thoughts as to why they're not common?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Sounds like something that would either clog up with crap or come loose and get stuck down the pipe.

Probably not widely used because they shouldn’t be needed.

Never heard of them and I've inspected hundreds of installations. Its certainly not required by Building Regs>
Sounds like something that would either clog up with crap or come loose and get stuck down the pipe.
It looks like they have access for periodical cleaning.

If the tank is working at it should be, then the clarified effluent leaving the tank should be more or less free of suspended solids anyway, so shouldn't need any further treatment. Secondly, many tanks would require entry to fit/maintain such a filter. This then requires Confined Space training, at least 2 people, and the associated safety gear.

DO NOT
attempt to enter a septic tank without the correct safety apparatus and training, or it may be the last thing you ever do....

Sponsored Links
DO NOT attempt to enter a septic tank without the correct safety apparatus and training, or it may be the last thing you ever do....
From the limited information I've seen it looks like they go on the outlet drain rather than the tank and have direct assess for cleaning, no more difficult to access than an inspection chamber.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back