Replacement Septic Tank Building Regs + Drainage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am in the process of buying a house which has an old septic tank. The vendor doesn't know anything about it at all (so older than the 15yrs they have lived there), and they don't know where it drains to. They claim it works without problem, and is emptied once a year.

I will be getting the system surveyed to check its current condition. However, I was wondering if anyone knows what happens if/when the tank or drainage field needs replacing?

The tank is situated right next to the house, the lid being 1-2 meters away, which doesn't meet current building regs for minimum distance. The garden is only about 4 meters wide, and assuming the drainfield is under that. This is also too close to the house for current regs.

Would a replacement tank (or new treatment plant), or any new drainfield, need to be to current regs? There just isn't enough space to build them far enough away from the house and boundary.

Can a drainfield be replace in-situ if it fails, or does it need to go in a new location from the old? Again, there isn;t any extra garden to put a new one in.

I figure there must be loads of rural properties like this, with not enough land to reach current regs.

Thanks for any help!
Jason

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back