New build next to septic tank?

T J

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Looking for some advice here - I'm struggling with neighbours septic tank stinking out my house.

Bought a new build property (UK) next to an old Windmill, it appears there is a septic tank at the bottom of their garden (approx 25meters from the mill) where the fence is for my property being only 2-3 meters from this tank cover.

My question is are you allowed to build a property that close to a tank? Builder suggests it's not his problem its my neighbour but he did provide a connection point for this mill to connect their tank to (soak away).

Where do I stand with this? Is it legal? its coming through my window vents into my office.

Thanks in advance

TJ

Sponsored Links
The tank isn't allowed to be connected to a soak away, it needs a drainage field which treats the water as well as allowing the liquid to soak away. That might just be a mistake in phrasing though.

The tank should be 7m or more away from habitable buildings and the drainage field 15m away.

Septic tanks shouldn't smell too much, although that's very hard to quantify. They might need to take a look at it.

Hey IT Minion - thanks, apologies probably my wording.

I call them two collection chambers (metal pressed manhole covers open to a "pit" rather than a tank?) and the the second one is 2-3 meters from my house and the over flow or what normally go to a drainage field (where my house is built) is connected to my drains (flows thru to mains on a big estate).

I've read the 7m rule - does that apply if the tank was there 100 years ago and they built next to it? Because I've only read that if you're going to install a tank, not build a house or does is my logic sound assuming its vica-versa?

Sponsored Links
I don't know, someone like @jeds or @blubs is probably a lot better informed.

I'd guess that building control wouldn't have signed off on the build of your house if it were in violation.

Also, if you ask a mod (click on report post) to move this to plumbing or building regulations that'd probably get more, and more useful feedback.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back