Can someone confirm the following is true? Ref septic tanks and soakaway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have not long ago purchased a property which has an old style 2 chamber brick septic tank. The water from this leads to a soakaway in the garden that has started to fail. The soakaway is within 15m of my building.

Now I have had a local company come out that deals with septic and soakaway install and they have said replace the existing soakaway, but this will be within 15m of my house. I don't have anywhere else to place the soakaway. We do have a ditch at the side of the property but this has no flowing water. In fact, this ditch is part of a flood plain near the river Glen.

However, I have been looking into what options I have on the internet and have noticed the following:

Installation, Replacement or Repairs to Septic Tanks

If the septic tank and soakaway was installed more than 15 years ago, then you do not need permission to replace or modify your septic tank or soakaway.

The above is only mentioned on a couple of websites.

Our septic tank and soakaway are way past 15 years old.

Does this mean I can replace my existing soakaway within 15m of my building?

If not, can I get a water treatment plant and discharge into a ditch that has no flow?

If I can't replace my soakaway or discharge into a ditch, what options do I have left?

Thanks all.

Regards

Sponsored Links
You can replace a soakaway but keep away from the failed one because the ground there is spent.

You might want to dig on the inlet to your existing soakaway, it could be silted up at the end of the pipe but still have some life left. If it's black stained and holding water then you need a new one.

I thought you had to be minimum 5mtrs from the property.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back