Septic tank soakaway

ser

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The existing soakaway on our septic tank seems to have packed up. Do we need Building Regs approval for a new one? We've had conflicting advice so far.[/b]

Sponsored Links
You do need building regulations. You might also need a permit to discharge from the environment agency. Depends which zone you are in. Check with the environment agency to see if you are in a Groundwater Source Protection Zone? You should be able to find the zones online. Bear in mind that the result of the review of the registration scheme for small domestic discharges is about to be announced. (I saw the other day it is due on the next couple of weeks.) After this registration of your system will almost certainly be compulsory. Is your system registered? If not now's the time to get it done.

• Thanks
Reactions: ser
Jeds is right, but over 60% of all sites are currently failing the 3 mandatory tests for installing a replacement soakaway, so be warned.
The tests are as follows:
  • Groundwater Source Protection Zone search at the E.A.
    Trial Site Assessment Hole
    Percolation Tests

Most of the soakaways I am asked to do now simply can't be done because of these regulations and I usually try to find a ditch and install a sewage treatment plant instead. It's a lot cheaper anyway than a new soakaway.
Have a look at this webpage as it gives the rules for soakaways
http://www.wte-ltd.co.uk/soakaways.html

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back