septic tank?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone explain this system - I am at a loss to understand it. Seems to be a one off?

Bought house 12 months ago, had survey before, surveyor was not able to say what type of system it was - had never seen one before! Sooo, take a breath and buy anyway.
The plans that I recieved with deeds show unit marked and notated as septic tank. To describe house, built 1920's, walls 400 - 450 thick and solid red brick, situated away from village although it has 5 other places nearby.

The unit described as septic tank has appearance of 2 inspection chambers, 1 metre square and approx metre deep, side by side each with it's own cover and a grill on top of one. No vent other than this one grill.
The first chamber has inlet at bottom leading into gully which flows through to next chamber. This first chamber has rainwater from adj. 2 properties and kitchen waste from one. No solids in via this inlet.
Second chamber has all waste from our property flowing in via inlet at bottom of chamber, includes solids.
My first look inside both chambers was about 6 months after moving in and system obviously in use. However, bottom of both chambers were clean of all waste, having small amount of water laying inside.
My second look inside chambers (last week) saw solids in the first chamber with depth of grey water some 150 - 200mm deep.
It seems as though solids from our waste inlet flow back into first chamber where they sit and degrade.
Some 30 metres from these chambers is another inspection chamber which has clear water flowing into it from the unit descibed as septic tank. This then just disappears under the adj. road and goes.........? no idea.

stephan

Sponsored Links
Years ago when I had a septic tank, the slurry emptying co. came a calling. Like you I had no knowledge of the workings of these things, but these guys told me all the hows and whys of my system.
So speak to your neighbors, especially the one whose waste goes in (their may be a shared responsibility) they should be able to tell you which slurry co. and may be able to tell you about your tank system. Most people living with these for some time have good knowledge of there workings...pinenot :)

Never come across a setup like that before. Usual practice is all waste into first chamber, via a dip pipe. Outlet into second cahmber, then sometimes a third chamber, before outlet to saokaway or ditch. (Dip pipes usually fitted on all inlets and outlets to draw the liquor from below the surface and avoid disturbing the 'crust' on the surface, to allow the bacteria to do thier bit anaerobically.)

As effluent passes through each chamber a process of settlement and bacteria breakdown renders the effluent 'clean' enough to discharge to a soakaway. Rainwater should be excluded at all costs as a sudden rush of water can wreck the entire process, and wash sludge into the outlet blocking it up.....

Really cannot fathom what your system is aiming to achieve, but as the old adage says, 'If it works, dont fix it!' ;)

Have spoken to neighbours but they are either a little cautious about saying anything, or don't actually know. One has spoken about previous occupier saying (when my solicitor asked for date of last sludge out) that they had never had a clean out - occupied here for 20 years.

The only thing I can think of is that there may be another settlement tank between the double chamber and the single one 30m away. Problem is, I have seen absolutely nothing to suggest that.

This is strange to say the least, and I most definitely shall stay with it until a problem occurs. If/when that happens, a co0mplete new system methinks!

stephan

Sponsored Links
I bet the neighbours are coy about it, if they're using it then they are liable for a share of the cost of maintenance, and thats where the fun starts......

Quite happy to use it, but when it comes to putting hand in pocket they'll be kicking up a fuss..... I would suggest you investiagte the legal side of matters sooner rather than later, to be prepared when some money has to be spent, so those who are liable for a contribution know their position. (They may not like you for it though....) A new system, if the need arises, wont be cheap! :eek:

Never come across a setup like that before. Usual practice is all waste into first chamber, via a dip pipe. Outlet into second cahmber, then sometimes a third chamber, before outlet to saokaway or ditch. (Dip pipes usually fitted on all inlets and outlets to draw the liquor from below the surface and avoid disturbing the 'crust' on the surface, to allow the bacteria to do thier bit anaerobically.)

As effluent passes through each chamber a process of settlement and bacteria breakdown renders the effluent 'clean' enough to discharge to a soakaway. Rainwater should be excluded at all costs as a sudden rush of water can wreck the entire process, and wash sludge into the outlet blocking it up.....

Really cannot fathom what your system is aiming to achieve, but as the old adage says, 'If it works, dont fix it!' ;)
So does this mean emptying the bath daily is bad for it. (I have septic tank, its all new to me)

Can depend on size of tank, a lot of older properties have small tanks built to serve an outside privvy, and possibly a cold tap at the kitchen sink. House is then modernised, family move in, now got 2 bathrooms, 2 showers, washing machine and dishwasher and wonder why the tank cant cope! One bath shouldn't adversely affect it though, the flow from one bath is steady over a few minutes rather than hours.

Rainwater is a problem as persistant rain will provide a constant flow into (and out of) the tank, all needing to be dissipated by the soakaway. If the soakaway becomes saturated then it'll cease to function, tank fills up the drains back towards the house. :cry:

Similarly, a heavy storm will put a sudden rush of water through the tank, stirring it up, and washing sludge and bacteria out into the soakaway. The breakdown of waste in the tank relies on settlement and the bacteria within the effluent, and is a gradual process. Tanks should always be sized according to demand to allow the throughput time to achieve these requirements.

Treat the tank with respect, keep use of detergents and bleach to a minimum, too much will kill off the bacteria the tank relies on. Dont flush anything down the drain that wont degrade, basically anything other than human waste, tissue and water. Fat/grease will congeal in the tank, wipes, sanitary towels etc just collect and bung things up..... Empty (desludge) as required, failure to do so can again cause the soakway to fail.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back