Septic tank.

All interesting stuff. To be honest I had never considered the risk of a domestic septic tank. On the subject of the late Fred Dibnah, I don't think that publications by HSE were his preferred bedtime reading. But that's another story and he was one Hell of a character.

Thanks again for all the help. I won't be going in there again. I'll smash it up with the digger before I do that and drop a Klargester in.

Sponsored Links
I've been inside quite a few slurry tanks after they were emptied. Though not what you would call "confined" spaces.

Hydrogen sulphide may well have been present. Probably at low level.
Once the slurry is removed then in theory the potential for the production of HS should cease. The initial stages of mixing is the dangerous stage. Thats when you vacate the premises.
Some tanks are aero mixed now so HS cannot manifest itself so easily.

I helped drag several cows to safety once after they had succumbed to the HS inside a shed. Most of them survived once outside.
We just went in with scant regard for our own safety. I'm not the kind of bloke who stands back.

If I had problems with my own sewerage system I'd not be climbing inside it I can assure you.
I'd rip it apart with the digger and drop a new one in quicker.

Sorry, but I'd have let the cows go. Longer term exposure to low levels can be equally dangerous sometimes, and any concentration greater than 200ppm is enough to cause death within seconds. Without a gas detector you have no idea of the level inside that building, and only a fool (or someone suicidal) would risk entering.

A cow shed could easily be classed as a 'confined space', if there is insufficient area of the walls/roof open to atmosphere, which in turn is allowing the gas to build up to a level where it affecting the animals, then that is a confined space in the eyes of the law.

The HS remains at low level so doesn't present a danger when your nose is five feet above the floor.
The cows were £1000 each. No way were we going to let that loss be fall the farmer we were working for. Only fools and those not knowing what they were doing would have stood back and let them die.

What pray tell would I have said to the farmer when he returned home that evening?

...."Er sorry guv'nor.. your cows are all dead. We just stood back cos we thought we was being clever, its rules you see... no skin off my nose eh, anyrode look on the bright side, no milking this evening"....

We did a highly profitable £80k project for the same farmer last year. That was karma kicking in.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, but I'd have let the cows go.

A cow shed could easily be classed as a 'confined space', if there is insufficient area of the walls/roof open to atmosphere, which in turn is allowing the gas to build up to a level where it affecting the animals, then that is a confined space in the eyes of the law.

If a cow yard is ever confined to such a degree as that then it is asking for trouble. They need fresh air, just as we do, and lots of it. That's why we have got Yorkshire boarding on lots of livestock buildings and those that haven't won't have the cladding coming down to meet the walls al the way round the shed. You must get fresh air over them but of course drafts can be just as bad. In any event, cows in yards are not in a slurry pit, it is a strawed yard and if not kept well strawed up it makes a hell of a lot more work when they come into the parlour at milking time because the udders have to be clean before they are milked.

Beef cattle are similar. they will suffer from bronchial problems if they haven't got fresh air and then they don't convert their food as well into liveweight gain.

In the old days, when we milked in cow sheds where the cows were tied up individually the dung passages were mucked out every day and in any event, as long as it wasn't extreme winter outside they were always let out for a wander round.

If you`ve got an air compressor on the farm - get yourself a ex fire brigade BA mask and connect it up :idea: I got one for spraying 2 pack - cheap on eBay

If you`ve got an air compressor on the farm - get yourself a ex fire brigade BA mask and connect it up :idea: I got one for spraying 2 pack - cheap on eBay

Thanks Nige. Yes, got a couple of those. Does the BA mask control the air pressure. Don't want to do an impression of the Fat Controller and get stuck in the tank. :oops:

not the pressure - you`d need a regulator on the comp. but a valve in the BA lets the air in when you inhale , then another valve lets it out :idea:

not the pressure - you`d need a regulator on the comp. but a valve in the BA lets the air in when you inhale , then another valve lets it out :idea:

Yes, got a small portable compressor with twin lines & regulators. Your idea could well come in handy for other uses as well. Thank you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back