Serious moss problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a very small front lawn roughly 6ft x 8ft. It is constantly full of moss which no matter how much feed & weed I use always seems to return. I think this was originally caused by a drain problem which is now repaired but the moss has got hold. Where I have managed to kill it & rake it out the new seed has not grown. I am fed up with the sight of it and as its so small would like to dig the whole thing up and re-turf. I would be very grateful if someone could give me advice on whether this is the best thing to do and if so how to do it. Green fingers I have not :!:

Sponsored Links
Normally the moss is there because of poor drainage, rake it out again and aireated the ground with plenty of holes backfill the holes with sharp sand. You may also have a heavy compacted ground which won't help.

Thanks, I'll try that. When I replaced the water main a few years ago I found the ground to be very heavy clay when you get a few inches down. I also had a problem with the top water drain which was causing all the rainwater from the roof to flow straight onto the lawn but this has been resolved. The ground doesn't seem too wet anymore but the moss still thrives.

Moss is often a symptom of poor drainage or shading - is your lawn shaded by trees, buildings etc?

Steve

Sponsored Links
Lime can make things unpalatable for moss (I know, I know, original post was in July)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back