Set fall on decking running parallel to house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am looking to install some decking 8M wide in my back garden, attached to the house and the boards running parallel to the house.
The boards will be standard timber decking boards with grooves.

is there any point setting a fall running away from the house if the deck boards are running parallel ?

If I put a fall running with the boards the water ends up in my neighbours garden / house and, as it’s quite wide, will look odd running off and not level with brickwork

Any advice greatly welcome

Sponsored Links
Leave it level , rain will still run off .Leave 50mm off house wall and below dpc.

Sponsored Links
My gutters are level and never fill with water.
I'll let the architect know that he got the box gutters we are installing with a fall towards the hopper heads all wrong, shall I? We could have saved a lot of time an effort if only..

I'll let the architect know that he got the box gutters we are installing with a fall towards the hopper heads all wrong, shall I? We could have saved a lot of time an effort if only..
If only you had asked first .

If only you had asked first .
I was being sarcastic... Box gutters are normally formed of wood (and these days plywood) with a lead, vinyl, rubber or fibreglass lining. Because of that they need a fall to prevent rot caused by standing water seepage over time. Same goes for the wooden troughing commonly found on many Victorian and Edwardian buildings in this part of the world. And as @^woody^ states same is true of decking- standing water in the grooves will cause it to rot, hence the need for a fall to clear it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back