setting up underfloor heating

Sponsored Links
ok ive had a look , what ive done before is ok for just simple switching of pumps, valves and old boiler
with just L.Eand N going to a chock block . that was just about within my capabilities or not , but its done and works to a point .

I wasnt able to figure out how to connect the wiring centre with the old boiler properly so that's why its ended up as it is .

now ive got a new boiler it must need to work differently . I don't expect to be told how to do it for safety reasons.
but i would like to understand the principles of what needs to be done .

new boiler is vaillant eco plus 430

I think i need to ditch the chocolate block and use volt free terminals and the rest of the wiring center?
does my boiler have volt free ? the gas guy took the instructions so i cant check .

Is the boiler meant to have L.E.N being switched by zone valves ? so its off until there is a call for heat .
or is L.E.N. supposed to be permanent boiler stays powered up and switching is done in the wiring centre relays ?

Attachments

• P1010680.JPG
    P1010680.JPG
    239.5 KB · Views: 115
AAAHHHH thank you Roger thats really helped me get a clue :)

so ive got a zone valve so the actuators can go
(as its all 1 zone) and the wiring can stay as is , all be it a bit more tidy .

Last edited:
Should be a thermostat fitted.
And no need for actuaters when its serving one zone.

Sponsored Links
thats what i was trying to deal with , but my poor brain just couldn't fathom it out .
the wiring diagram doesnt go far enough to explain its relays and what they are supposed to switch .

anyway im probably in dire need of professional help on many levels at this stage .

Attachments

• P1010682.JPG
    P1010682.JPG
    268.3 KB · Views: 177
Google polypipe pre assembled underfloor heating control and you will see the error of your ways.

image.php

Polypipe Underfloor Heating Control Pack PB970035

image.php

i'm looking and looking but just not seeing it . its really obvious isn't it !
.......looking+looking ...........
no its just not jumping out at me .

I'm too thick !

do i have the wrong mixer valve ?

is it that all my plumbing is back to front and i should have assembled the manifold pump etc the other way around ? i think so ....never mind :)

Last edited:
anyway , ive run the bloody thing again ...
put the mixing valve on 45c

room temp was 22c
put 24c desired on the hive thermostat and watched what happened (this time i closed the windows)
click! things come on pump zone valve open
live goes to actuators i still cant see movement, after a minute of so the flow regulators start indicating flow. i can see why i don't need them now :)
no pressure build ups or anything, there were some air noises so i bled above the pump and also the pump upstairs in the airing cupboard.
boiler cuts in and out a bit at first, with the water flow indicator flashing when it does. because of the slow opening of actuators i suppose.

room temp crept up to 24c and click it all went off

floor temp was 29c at that time .

an hour later floor temp 32c and room temp 25c

I think its working better this time .might have just been air

anyway , ive run the bloody thing again ...
put the mixing valve on 45c

room temp was 22c
put 24c desired on the hive thermostat and watched what happened (this time i closed the windows)
click! things come on pump zone valve open
live goes to actuators i still cant see movement, after a minute of so the flow regulators start indicating flow. i can see why i don't need them now :)
no pressure build ups or anything, there were some air noises so i bled above the pump and also the pump upstairs in the airing cupboard.
boiler cuts in and out a bit at first, with the water flow indicator flashing when it does. because of the slow opening of actuators i suppose.

room temp crept up to 24c and click it all went off

floor temp was 29c at that time .

an hour later floor temp 32c and room temp 25c

I think its working better this time .might have just been air

I'd think again. It's not meant to be that temp. Look at your wiring.

Google polypipe pre assembled underfloor heating control and you will see the error of your ways.

image.php

image.php

Are you suggesting the OP's plumbing is wrong? ie. the mixer/pump assembly fitted upside down?
Its looks more like someone has posted the image upside down.

In any case that valve station assembly is different from the OP's.

Last edited:
yeah I'm getting a headache .

thanks for all your help .

Last edited by a moderator:
I think, as far as that picture goes , he was trying to tell me that my copper feed pipes are too long and bendy ,my manifold should be assembled the other way around .
I don't think its going to matter, other than look a bit odd .
Its a tight spot under the stairs and to me the way i done it was ok , and it'll do . I doubt its the cause of any problems i might have .

just to say heating/pluming and electrics is not my field .
I am an experienced car mechanic of 20 years and knew nothing about 240v electrics , plumbing and UFH 12 months ago .
since then Ive managed to replace all my radiators ,
Solder in pipes and fit valves to make S-plan , run wires and pipes through joists all over the house,
research, buy and install all the insulation ,egg box trays , pipe work , edge boarder stuff , polythene sheets,manifolds ,pumps ,pex al pex ,wiring 3 core and earth , 5 core ,flex etc , tools , drills , pipe bender, flux , etc etc etc ,
learn what to do , fit it all , floor screed-ed with calcium sulphate.

It may not all be perfectly installed , but the floor gets hot !!!! :)
and i saved thousands ! and learnt loads .
next I can turn it on for a week or so and then start tiling .

now ive never tiled before , but I'm trying to learn how.

So to the likes of nay sayers such as Dan robinson(removed from thread) and his army of brown noser's.
if you ain't got anything constructive to offer ....DON'T BOTHER.

cheers
The Mechanic

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back