Hive and underfloor heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can Hive control underfloor heating?
the supplier says it wont.

I thought it was just controlled the thermostat / timer?

the kit comprises:
brass mixing manifolds 1 x 7 port (mixer valve, thermostatic head, pump, temp gauge, pressure gauge, flowmeters, auto air vents)
thermal actuator
22mm zone valve
danfoss FH-WC wiring centre
danfoss wt-p thermostat
16mm AL/pert pipe

(info: Im sorting for a client, plumber will be fitting but he is away at mo so cant get hold of him).

TIA

Sponsored Links
Yes it will - although 1 hive = 1 heating zone so will get expensive if there are several zones.

Whatever smart features it may have, it's just a basic on/off switch like any other thermostat.

It can but it's not very intelligent, there are better stats on the market

It can but it's not very intelligent, there are better stats on the market

Yes it will - although 1 hive = 1 heating zone so will get expensive if there are several zones.

Whatever smart features it may have, it's just a basic on/off switch like any other thermostat.

Many thanks for the advice, much appreciated

The underfloor heating company are offering a heatmiser NeoApp -however reviews of the app both on anddroid and iOS say it is a really bad app, buggy and poor user interface.

Can anybody suggest any better options?

Sponsored Links

The underfloor heating company are offering a heatmiser NeoApp -however reviews of the app both on anddroid and iOS say it is a really bad app, buggy and poor user interface.

Go with Hive as it has been confirmed that it works. In terms of smartness, it's a smart App based heating system - how intelligent do you need it be ?

Ps I have Hive and its great :)

Go with Hive as it has been confirmed that it works. In terms of smartness, it's a smart App based heating system - how intelligent do you need it be ?

Ps I have Hive and its great :)

Ah-ha, you have fallen into the great marketing trap of thinking that app-controlled = smart. It doesn't. There are smart thermostats with no app control. There are app-controlled smart thermostats. Then there is Hive. Hive is little more than a switch with a WiFi connection; it doesn't even use the most basic TPI control logic to increase system efficiency and user comfort, there's no optimum start facility either. It's a blunt instrument amongst connected thermostats, which is why it's only achieved Class 1 standard for energy efficiency (the same as the old dial thermostat most people had before) whereas most of its competitors are Class 4 or even Class 5 (7 is currently the highest class of thermostats).

Ah-ha, you have fallen into the great marketing trap of thinking that app-controlled = smart. It doesn't. There are smart thermostats with no app control. There are app-controlled smart thermostats. Then there is Hive. Hive is little more than a switch with a WiFi connection; it doesn't even use the most basic TPI control logic to increase system efficiency and user comfort, there's no optimum start facility either. It's a blunt instrument amongst connected thermostats, which is why it's only achieved Class 1 standard for energy efficiency (the same as the old dial thermostat most people had before) whereas most of its competitors are Class 4 or even Class 5 (7 is currently the highest class of thermostats).

Some very good points there. I've just looked into TPI and you're right Hive doesn't support it and my system tends to overshoot by about 1 degree which I do notice. Hive are apparently considering this according to their website and I do hope they implement it. Despite this, its a great system and I use the bulbs, plugs & motion sensors throughout my house.

Neo isn't the prettiest but it does work - I've just fired up a new 3-storey 6-bed house full of NeoStats and my customer is absolutely delighted with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back