Help with new UFH/Rad Install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

We've got a combi boiler and are fitting UFH (4 zones) downstairs. No problems there!

We've got rads upstairs (x4), and while things are all apart in our house, I want to convert these to run off a manifold with individual timer/thermostats in each room to make it more efficient.

I've got the basics of it nailed down, I'm just a bit unsure as to the finer points of the setup.

I'm planning on using a Danfoss FH-WC wiring centre, and using the Danfoss WT-P thermostats for the UFH. All nice and straightfoward so far.

My question is, are the Danfoss WT-P thermostats suitable to control the rads upstairs, and can I use the same wiring centre for both the rads and UFH? Or will the separate manifold require a wiring centre to itself?

Also, am I right in saying that using this setup for the rads, I can program temperatures and timings for each room individually without any other controllers?

I hope this makes sense!

Thanks
Lee

Sponsored Links
Why Danfoss WT-P? For not much more you could have Heatmiser NeoStats with full app control and much more user-friendly interface.

You can indeed use the same wiring centre for both, although it might prove simpler from a wiring point of view to use two. Either way, you'd then have individual control of each room

Thanks Andrew - I will take a look at those - they certainly look good at first glance!

With regard to the plumbing, is this the best way to plumb two manifolds in? (I realise this shows two sets of rads, but the theory is the same)

micro2.gif

No.

Your diagram shows the use of twin-entry rad valves (not recommended even if available)and wrongly labels an automatic bypass (probably unnecessary here anyway) here as a "pressure relief valve"

Sponsored Links
Ah, I didn't notice the twin entry...and I did wonder about the auto bypass as it's coming off a combi.

All rads will be manual valves, and not twin entry. No need for TRVs as they'll be controlled by the thermostats/manifold.

It was more the way the manifolds were plumbed back to the combi I was concerned about. Are they ok for one manifold to just go straight back to the boiler and the other teed off from there?

I think what you're proposing is fine, but a sketch of your own would make it clearer.

OK, here goes...its not the best diagram in the world, but this is what I'm proposing. (Sorry, don't seem to be able to rotate it!)
All rooms controlled by neostats, with the bathroom stat turning on both the UFH and towel rail at the same time. The bathroom is downstairs BTW.

Any suggestions for improvements are more than welcome!

Attachments

• IMG_0116b.jpg
    IMG_0116b.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 101
So you are proposing to run the UFH and rads/towel rails at the same, direct from the combi, flow temperature?

Tony

So you are proposing to run the UFH and rads/towel rails at the same, direct from the combi, flow temperature?

Tony

No, the UFH will run on a mixer manifold with pump - sorry, it's not marked on that diagram

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back