UFH, combi and seperate CH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After a bit of help with the wiring for my boiler, CH and UFH. All plumbed in but the plumber has now done a runner and I'm out of money.

Figured I can do this myself (just wired in my alarm system), plumbed and done electrics before.

I'm just stumped with how to setup the S wiring.

Here's how it's setup and what I'm trying to achieve, if anyone could guide me it would be so appreciated!

Combi boiler (Worcester Bosch 35 CDI)
CH heating system - standard rads
UFH - Salus wiring centre and salus quantum thermostats

Boiler is setup with a 3 port motorised valve. I assume it's always fully open for CH, closed for UFH and could be half open. I want to be able to have the UFH thermostats call for heat, activate the valve to open for flow to UFH. The rads (which are upstairs) to be activated by a single wireless thermostat which can (if UFH is already on) call for the motorised valve to be half open (assume meaning 2 way flow to both ufh and CH)

My wiring centre and salus thermostats will control all ufh zones, I do not currently have a timer or wireless stat for rads (is this timer needed as it's a combi and HW is 'called for' and heating is 'called for' by the thermostat)

If I do would the honeywell t3r setup be okay? - any recommendations if not?

Could anyone help me work through this?

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Maybe some clear pictures of what you have?
If your motorised valve is a 3 port that's a interesting way of doing it! 2 no 2 ports are normal.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Strange setup that - UFH would usually have it's own 2 port - therefore the other circuit (rads?) would have that 2 so an extended S plan (+). A 3 port would be a strange way to do it. It may actually be a diverter as there is no HW cylinder rather than a 3 port mid pos.

So the usual would be, stats control their own zones UFH actuator, they would normally be hardwired or wireless through a UFH controller, that would then send out signal to the 2 port and from there to the boiler. Same with the rads if on their own stat.

Your wiring then wouldn't be an S plan wiring rather possibly a type of Y plan. Would need to see the setup and codes/numbers off the valve

• Thanks
As above, two 2-ports would be much more normal here. Could probably make it work but it's slightly odd.

As for controls, stick with Salus Quantum for your radiators. If you buy the UG600 gateway as well it'll give you full app control of everything.

• Thanks
Sponsored Links
you say you have UFH Zones controlled by thermostats ? if you mean you do have different UFH zones then you need S plan plus, you cant control this with what you are calling a 3 port valve

• Thanks
You mention wiring S - does that mean S plan? The boiler normally has a diverter valve which switches between heating and hot water on demand

You mention wiring S - does that mean S plan? The boiler normally has a diverter valve which switches between heating and hot water on demand
No idea. I heard it needs to be some form of S plan. Not sure if it's what I need..

you say you have UFH Zones controlled by thermostats ? if you mean you do have different UFH zones then you need S plan plus, you cant control this with what you are calling a 3 port valve
I have different zones but they are controlled by the wiring centre which the Ufh stats run to right?

As above, two 2-ports would be much more normal here. Could probably make it work but it's slightly odd.

As for controls, stick with Salus Quantum for your radiators. If you buy the UG600 gateway as well it'll give you full app control of everything.
But the salus centre I have is wired. The rads one would be wireless. In that case id need two salus boiler controllers a wireless one for the rad stat and a wired one for the Ufh control centre right?

Photos attached of what I've been left with.

The coloured boxes are the valves that will run together in each zone/room

Attachments

• IMG_20231222_180128.jpg
    IMG_20231222_180128.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_20231222_180104.jpg
    IMG_20231222_180104.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_20231222_172848.jpg
    IMG_20231222_172848.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20231222_172842.jpg
    IMG_20231222_172842.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_20231222_172838.jpg
    IMG_20231222_172838.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20231222_172815.jpg
    IMG_20231222_172815.jpg
    326.9 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20231222_172812.jpg
    IMG_20231222_172812.jpg
    300.8 KB · Views: 79
The rads (which are upstairs) to be activated by a single wireless thermostat which can (if UFH is already on) call for the motorised valve to be half open (assume meaning 2 way flow to both ufh and CH)

Do you want to be able to have the rads on without the UFH?

Do you want to be able to have the rads on without the UFH?
Yes, I'd want to be able to have the upstairs heated without the downstairs (i.e. rads on without ufh)

Yes, I'd want to be able to have the upstairs heated without the downstairs (i.e. rads on without ufh)

I'm trying to relate this to the standard Y-Plan wiring for a mid-position valve. It seems you only have two signals - one from the UFH wiring centre and one from the rads thermostat? Don't you need a third signal to use the third position on the mid-position valve?

I'm trying to relate this to the standard Y-Plan wiring for a mid-position valve. It seems you only have two signals - one from the UFH wiring centre and one from the rads thermostat? Don't you need a third signal to use the third position on the mid-position valve?
I'm not sure, I'd assume so yes... Could I use a timer to do this? Again have not a clue..

All I know is it's how it was left and I've run out of money to get it done.. so really need to get this heating going

What does the installer have to say about this? I suspect your inability to pay wont help, but they are the person to finalise it.

edit - thats a right mess.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back