Settle an Argument Please

possibly another way to save money on your house phone
base station and 3 handsets throw the 2 charging stand in a drawer and never use them just rotate them on the main stand as they need charging perhaps 2 or 3 times a week dependent on use and age off the batteries

Then I would not know where to look for the handsets, there are too many places in this place, where things can be left and lost. Popping back in the stands, I know where to find them.

how much would i save -------havent got a clue as i have never used a remote stand over the 3 or 4 sets i have had now even if its only 0.5w each thats 1w or around £2 a year if left plugged in and on

I can afford that, for the convenience - everything else is super efficient.

Sponsored Links
Another point to make is how much of this energy is being wasted, apart from an odd hot week in the middle of the summer the heat released by appliances on stand-by is supplementing your heating system.
But the heat generated from electricity costs 4 times as much as that from gas.

But the heat generated from electricity costs 4 times as much as that from gas.
you take my post out of context by snipping out a little bit, in my next line I said "And if your concerns are environmental then the heat from the electric has a lower carbon footprint than from gas or oil heating."

The only way to be really sure as to what is using power is to go round with a multi meter and test. I found quite a few surprises in the good the bad and the ugly. my computer is worst with 10w even when switched off at the case.

Another point to make is how much of this energy is being wasted, apart from an odd hot week in the middle of the summer the heat released by appliances on stand-by is supplementing your heating system. And if your concerns are environmental then the heat from the electric has a lower carbon footprint than from gas or oil heating.

also worth noting that electric per kwh may be 4 x the cost of gas per kwh, however the electric you have paid for is 100% efficient, gas heating has inefficiencies.

you take my post out of context by snipping out a little bit, in my next line I said "And if your concerns are environmental then the heat from the electric has a lower carbon footprint than from gas or oil heating."

also worth noting that electric per kwh may be 4 x the cost of gas per kwh, however the electric you have paid for is 100% efficient, gas heating has inefficiencies.
I agree electric is 100% efficient. A modern gas boiler is over 90% efficient. Overall gas would have to be less than 25% efficient to make electric heating worthwhile.

Not sure about carbon footprint. A lot of electricity is generated from gas.

Sponsored Links
I agree electric is 100% efficient. A modern gas boiler is over 90% efficient. Overall gas would have to be less than 25% efficient to make electric heating worthwhile.
You may need to update your metal arithmetic.

It is true that, not long ago, the price of electricity could be (kWh for kWh) up to 4 times greater than the cost of gas.

However, the recent increases in 'energy price caps' for domestic users were about 75% for gas and 33% for electricity. Given that the underlying problem is a global increase in wholesale gas price, that difference sounds credible, given that about one-third of UK electricity is generated from gas.

That means that if the ratio of price differences was 4:1 prior to the increases, it would now be about 3:1 (3.04:1 by above figures) - and there seems to be every possibility that the ratio will have reduced appreciably further by the end of this year, given that further increases are, again, likely to be much greater for gas than for electricity.

Not sure about carbon footprint. A lot of electricity is generated from gas.
2/3 is from renewables

2/3 is from renewables
Indeed. As I recently wrote ...
... However, the recent increases in 'energy price caps' for domestic users were about 75% for gas and 33% for electricity. Given that the underlying problem is a global increase in wholesale gas price, that difference sounds credible, given that about one-third of UK electricity is generated from gas.

Kind Regards, John

wrong

most of the vast losses and inefficiency occur during generation, transmission and distribution.
Yes, but you pay for it after those losses. After your meter it is 100% efficient.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back