Settle an Argument Please

No it is the English language, where new words are invented or old words WRONGLY used for new things. This View attachment 268761 is not what comes to my mind when some one talks about a transformer, but clearly the word includes inductances, switch mode power supplies, and children's toys.
I do hope you are not being transphobic.

Sponsored Links
No it is the English language, where new words are invented or old words used for new things...
I wasn't talking about the word "boiler" (which, although most of them don't 'boil' the contents, has become a totally accepted word for such things) but, rather, the concept of having a water-heating device controlled by WiFi :)

Kind Regards, John

It seems these View attachment 268759 gas boilers will work with OpenTherm and Wifi controls, but a bit useless as although called boilers they will not boil the water, these View attachment 268760 however work fine even when unplugged.

An electronic clock and work for a year on a AA battery, yes the clock on a microwave must use power, but likely ½ W/h per year.

Are you going to remove the batteries from the smoke alarm to save power as well, that is about as silly.
measured my micro a few weeks ago plugged in [clock] 2w door open [light]22w 900w running around 1500w
anything modern on standby must consume less than 1w
1w for an average 10 hrs a day = £1 a year at around 27p a unit so my micro would cost around 2.4 units a year and as my electricity is 21.56 thats around £2 a year

Sponsored Links
I wonder how much physical (human) energy is consumed by walking around unplugging everything.

If I were to turn off my inbuilt microwave combi oven, I would need to reset the clock each time I want to use it, which would require me to keep a clock in the kitchen.

If I turn off my telly, I would need to re-enter the PIN number before it would boot again (B&O).

Fortunately, I don't have a smart meter, so I don't need to worry about how much energy that is using.

I wonder how much physical (human) energy is consumed by walking around unplugging everything.
Quite so - and, even more so, all these stories we hear of people contemplating very appreciable capital outlay in attempts to save tiny amounts of electricity usage.
If I were to turn off my inbuilt microwave combi oven, I would need to reset the clock each time I want to use it, which would require me to keep a clock in the kitchen. .... If I turn off my telly, I would need to re-enter the PIN number before it would boot again (B&O).
Again, quite so - and as I pointed out in another recent thread, repeatedly removing and then restoring power to electronic things can, in some cases, appreciably shorten their life expectancy - resulting in far more cost that the 'de-powering' would probably save in a lifetime!
Fortunately, I don't have a smart meter, so I don't need to worry about how much energy that is using.
If you did have a 'smart' meter, 'the planet' (or maybe even the supplier) might need to worry, but I don't think you would have to, since I think you'll find that the energy used by the meter itself comes from the unmetered side of the meter!

Kind Regards, John

I don't quite get that arithmetic :)

Kind Regards, John
1wx10hrsx365=3.650
3650wx27p=98p
or 24hrs is2.4x the 10 hrs equation
but as my units are a bit less its a bit cheaper
i chose 27p as its easy scalable without complicated sums (y)

1wx10hrsx365=3.650 ... 3650wx27p=98p .... or 24hrs is2.4x the 10 hrs equation ... but as my units are a bit less its a bit cheaper ... i chose 27p as its easy scalable without complicated sums (y)
Fair enough, although I'm not quite sure how the 10hrs got into this. As I quoted, what I was confused by was ..
... so my micro would cost around 2.4 units a year and as my electricity is 21.56 thats around £2 a year
If, as I presumed you meant (wrongly?) it uses 2.4 units per year and a unit of electricity costs you 21.56p, then that would come to around 51.74p per year, rather than £2.

Kind Regards, John

It should be relatively easy to judge how full a kettle is by the weight.

Just under a pint weighs just over a pound.

Or, if you're 45 or younger, half a litre weighs half a kilo. ;)

It should be relatively easy to judge how full a kettle is by the weight. Just under a pint weighs just over a pound. Or, if you're 45 or younger, half a litre weighs half a kilo. ;)
Indeed.

Raising the temp of 'half a litre' of water by 85 °C (15 °C to 100 °C) uses about 0.05 kWh of energy, which equates to about 1.35p at 27p/kWh. In itself, that's obviously trivial, but for those who like such multiplication sums, doing that 5 times a day for 365 days would add up to about £24.63 per year.

Kind Regards, John

Fair enough, although I'm not quite sure how the 10hrs got into this. As I quoted, what I was confused by was ..
If, as I presumed you meant (wrongly?) it uses 2.4 units per year and a unit of electricity costs you 21.56p, then that would come to around 51.74p per year, rather than £2.

Kind Regards, John
no i meant 24hrs is 2.4 times the 10 hour equasion
ok i will do the full equasion to save confusion
24x1=24x365=8760w 8760wx21.56p-£1.89p

the idea is to make it as simple as possible to work out without having to think
10 hrs a day works as an average iff you use for longer add abit on or less take a bit off not ment to be accurate but simple and give or take 5% is near enough(y)

no i meant 24hrs is 2.4 times the 10 hour equasion ...
Yes, I now understand that (and hence understand your calculation), but it wasn't how I originally read it, and nor do I really understand why the "10 hours" ever got into it :)
the idea is to make it as simple as possible to work out without having to think
Fair enough - but, unfortunately, as above, it merely confused me (rather than making it 'simple' for me' :)

Whatever, the important point is that we are talking about incredibly trivial sums of money, by almost anyone's standards.

Kind Regards, John

yes sorry for the confusion :whistle:
indeed a very small amount thats sort off the point of turning something on and off every day to save a pound or two a year is not worth the effort
indeed iff someone offered you a pound to get on your hands and knees and plug and unplug a tv 365 times you would laugh at the stupidity :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back