Sewer blockage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently had the manhole cover off my drain as there was a smell of blocked drains, turned out to be next door

But I did notice what looks like a small blockage at the bottom, it almost looks like cement / concrete

I’ve never looked down a sewer so not sure what it should look like!

Also what is the pipe at the top left corner (Vent?)

IMG_1940.JPG

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Top pipe most likely a vent, if it's been capped off at the other end, you can do the same in the chamber. Stuff a plastic or paper bag up it, and fill flush with concrete. (Don't drop any down the chamber though!)

You are right in saying the detritus in the channel shouldn't be there, could be cement/concrete or possibly scale. If you try and break it up, either remove the pieces as you go or break it up into pieces small enough to wash through or you'll soon have another issue downstream.....

If its a shared drain it may fall under the responsibility of the local water company. Give them a ring...

Top pipe most likely a vent, if it's been capped off at the other end, you can do the same in the chamber. Stuff a plastic or paper bag up it, and fill flush with concrete. (Don't drop any down the chamber though!)

You are right in saying the detritus in the channel shouldn't be there, could be cement/concrete or possibly scale. If you try and break it up, either remove the pieces as you go or break it up into pieces small enough to wash through or you'll soon have another issue downstream.....

where would the pipe vent to, Back to the stench pipe on the outside of the house?

the drain is only about 12ft from the property

As it seems so shallow could it have been damaged when the patio was dug up, an would this cause any problems?

Sponsored Links
where would the pipe vent to, Back to the stench pipe on the outside of the house?

the drain is only about 12ft from the property

As it seems so shallow could it have been damaged when the patio was dug up, an would this cause any problems?

Chances are it went to an early type of Air Admittance Valve, (similar to that discussed here: Is this a Victorian soil pipe vent? | DIYnot Forums), and has probably been removed and/or buried at some point in the past. It's removal wont cause any issues other than a possible exit for rodents.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back