Sewer Smells Please please help!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - I am new to the forum - I have a problem in my house which has been there for about 7 months now - I have spent about a thousand pounds now trying to get the problem sorted and am at the end of my tether.

We have a townhouse, and the ground floor has the kitchen, utility room, dining room and bathroom, which has a bath, shower and sink in.

Every now and then, usually twice a day, we have an overpowering smell of sulphur/methane rise up out of the floor. (I have 3 children, so its really not ideal!)

The smell happens 'usually' at around 8 in the morning and between 5-8 in the evening, which suggests its around heavy water usage times (baths/showers etc)

OK, so our first thought was a cracked or blocked pipe - we had a camera put into the drainage system from outside, and they discovered a buried manhole under our dining room - they couldn't go any further into the house because they couldn't control the camera past this manhole - so I excavated the manhole and called them back out again.

Inspecting the manhole, they discovered an old branch line which wasn't used anymore, and saw evidence of rats. They cleaned out this old pipe and cemented it up. They then proceeded to run the camera into the house, and found, low and behold…. another buried manhole!! They found no cracked pipes. They also then jetted the whole system to clean it out.

The smell then went away for about a week, and then returned.

Have checked all traps in the house and are all fine - the smell isn't coming from the traps, more from the floor/manholes/main pipes.

I then went onto thinking it could be a blocked vent pipe - so had a guy come out and put a smoke bomb down there. No smoke appeared in the house and the smoke was correctly drawing toward the vent pipe. The smoke eventually came out of our vent pipe - it did take a while though, but when it came, it came thick and fast.

When seeing the second manhole on the camera - we can see that ALL of our next door neighbours waste comes through into our manholes.

The rats are still there, and we have rentokill coming out next week - but the rentokil man said that the smell of rats is more like urine rather than sulphur/methane and would be more consistent.

My next thought is pressure - although the smoke came out of the vent pipe eventually would a partial blockage mess up the pressure and air flow?

As you can imagine, we are all going mental and the smell makes us feel sick and after six months it maybe time to excavate the second manhole - but this is obviously going to cause a lot more cost and inconvenience.

Its an old house, but renovated about 7 years ago, so everything is boxed in - could there be a broken internal air admittance valve somewhere - or do you usually only have a main vent pipe and thats it?

In total we've had 5 plumbers out, 3 visits from the sewer cleaning guys ad now rentokil….

Please help….. what could it be??? anyone want to buy a house lol?

Sponsored Links
it maybe time to excavate the second manhole

I suspect that could be the problem; a manhole within the house isn't a good idea. Hard to tell without a proper inspection.

If it started 7 months ago, the question I would ask is what changed 7 months ago?

Neighbours extension, vent stack removed on neighbouring property, large block of flats built next door?

Andy

I then went onto thinking it could be a blocked vent pipe - so had a guy come out and put a smoke bomb down there. No smoke appeared in the house and the smoke was correctly drawing toward the vent pipe. The smoke eventually came out of our vent pipe - it did take a while though, but when it came, it came thick and fast.

If the inspection chamber under the house isn't an air tight screwed down cover then it may seal itself until a positive pressure builds in the soil pipe, then it will leak gas, which by the way is explosive, so no naked flames. The smoke pellet wont reveal it unless next door flush their toilet at the same time to build up pressure.

Cheapest answer is replace the lid with an air tight one.

Sponsored Links
thanks for all your replies so far... well I have 2 more plumbers coming out AND southern water (we are in kent btw). Today was one of the worst episodes yet, to the point where we had to leave the house as we were feeling nauseous. It was sooo strong. I checked with the neighbours after it happened - and they hadnt touched the bath/shower/sinks and neither had we - which makes it even more odd - and points towards a pressure issue, as it was a little windy at the time? can this happen?

The manhole i excavated was not an air tight seal, so one can only assume the other one isnt either. And yes it is very odd to have our neighbours drains run into ours, no other houses in the street do this, so somewhere over the last 100 years theres been some dodgy DIY going on.

Its hard to tell - there is no 'visible' AAV for the toilet, but yes it could be behind a wall somewhere, so will have to rip them out, but the smell really comes from the floor/manholes rather than out through the walls.

One of the plumbers coming round is very keen to sort it as he 'loves a challenge' so i'm hoping he wont give up. I'll be waiting with my drill to rip the place apart, as we have no options left now...

Windy conditions can cause a change of pressure in the drainage system, not unusual to see the water in a WC trap fluctuating in windy conditions, the air passing over the top of the vent causes a 'draw' putting a slight negative pressure in the system.

The Victorians usually fitted an interceptor trap in the last chamber before the sewer entered the road, to seal the house drains off from the street. A low level vent was also fitted to the chamber, idea being the draw on the vent pipe would pull fresh air in at the low level vent, through the drains and out the stack thus ventilating the system.

If the WC outlets connect directly into the floor then they are likely to be connected directly to the drain, no AAV. If WC outlet runs horizontally into a boxed in stack then an AAV may be fitted. It seems that a pressure build up may occur in the system at certain times, if when the smoke bomb was introduced the system was at atmospheric pressure then the smoke may take a while to appear at the vent.

I'd start by fitting the correct internal air tight covers to both internal chambers and see how things go. Pipes may not be cracked, but with drains of that era it is possible the joints are in poor condition. Often when excavating old drains it is only the surrounding soil holding them together!

Whilst your may be the only house with the nieghbour drains joining yours, it could be possible one of the houses was an 'infill' development, so the drains were already there and the property simply built over the top! May be to your advantage though as a shared drain (especially of that era) should be the Water Authorities remit. Could still do with an answer to Andy's question, 'What changed 7 months ago?' :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back