No soil vent pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved into our 1950s bunglalow and I have noticed that there is no soil vent pipe. In the conservatory they have fitted an AAV. Next to the manhole cover there is a downpipe which feeds directly into the manhole so I would presume this will act as somesort of a vent (not the correct thing obviously) but is this OK? We don't have any smell issues, it just concerns me.

Sponsored Links
The usual trick of Conservatory fitters - drop the vent and AAV it. If there are other houses nearby with vents, you'll probably be OK unless your bungalow is at the head of the drain run - ie. the first one.

The toilet in my workshop goes straight into the ground and about 6 meters straight to the nearest manhole which is for next door’s property and is the end of the line. No vents of any kind. Been like that for at least 35 years.

Sponsored Links
My only concern would be if the downpipe vents through the eaves and stinks the loft out. Rainwater should only discharge into a combined sewer via a trapped gulley to prevent odour returning via the gutter outlets.

My only concern would be if the downpipe vents through the eaves and stinks the loft out. Rainwater should only discharge into a combined sewer via a trapped gulley to prevent odour returning via the gutter outlets.

Yes, you are right there Hugh. I will bear that in mind when I redo the guttering and put a trap in the pipe. Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back