No open soil vent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Moved into a new house a few months and currently going to have the main bathroom upstairs renovated. We've ripped the old one out and have realised that there is no open soil vent anywhere on the property, there is only a 50mm AAV on the soil stack in the main bathroom which is also shared by the en-suite next door. The AAV is on a stub stack that was concealed within a tiled unit.

It would be quite a job to add an open soil vent up through the roof because the bathroom has a velux window directly above the soil stack and as I understand it the vent needs to be 3m away from it?

So question is, does there have to be an open soil vent or will using an AAV be ok? The house was renovated and extended by the previous owners (apart from this bathroom) so I would have thought the BCO would have picked it up if it is required?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
There should always be a provision for venting out as well as in. Are there drawings for the work done. Was it even run by BC?

I don't have drawings, I do have the certificate from BC. The bathroom in question is part of the original house and was not renovated by the previous owner when they extended the house.

Yes Section H 1.33 states that an open vent is not always required so I am not sure.

Sponsored Links
My new build doesn't have an open stack, I believe the 1st house closest to the main sewer and every subsequent 10th house needs an open stack, all other houses can use an AAV.

Building Regs, Part H, Section 1.33 "Where there is no ventilation on a drainage system or through connecting drains, alternative methods to relieve positives pressures should be considered." Also, Section 2.18 "The system should be ventilated by a flow of fresh air. A ventilating pipe should be provided on or near the head of each main drain."

If there is currently an AAV and the system is performing adequately then I would see no need to add a vent. Problems usually arise where an existing open vent is removed and replaced with an AAV, or other alterations are made to the drainage system, when then causes issues with positive pressure looking for an exit.

Last edited:
Building Regs, Part H, Section 1.33 "Where there is no ventilation on a drainage system or through connecting drains, alternative methods to relieve positives pressures should be considered." Also, Section 2.18 "The system should be ventilated by a flow of fresh air. A ventilating pipe should be provided on or near the head of each main drain."

If there is currently no AAV and the system is performing adequately then I would see no need to add a vent. Problems usually arise where an existing open vent is removed and replaced with an AAV, or other alterations are made to the drainage system, when then causes issues with positive pressure looking for an exit.
I assume you mean "If there is currently an AAV"

I assume thats another of your advisory statements thats not in Doc H

Hey! I do this for a living, so what the fu¢k do I know!

Answer: A lot more than the tw@ts who write "docs".
Meet a hundred different pen pushers on site, on a hundred different jobs, and maybe, just maybe, you'll begin to understand the difference between 'talk-the-talk' and 'walk-the-walk'.
Classroom vs playground.
:rolleyes:

So question is, does there have to be an open soil vent or will using an AAV be ok?

There are hundreds of thousands of houses with setups just like yours, and unless you are experiencing any issues there’s no need for any alterations to be made.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back