Shall I get a new boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all,

Over the weekend the central heating decided to pack up. I still have hot water and I believe that I have an open system Central heating (open tank in the loft what a pipe going into the top of it).

The system must be about 16 years old now and my partner and I are undecided whether we should pay out and get the current system fixed or change the whole lot as we are also suffering from three leaky valves and one radiator that is stone cold all the time.

We have never had a new boiler installed before so we would like to know the best course of action before we start spending money on getting people around.

If we call an engineer (in most cases) will they be able to give quotes there or do they have to visit to give a quote. Do most charge just to visit and give a quote. People have been telling us to get as many quotes as possible but if engineers are going to cost to get them round then by the time we have found the cheapest we would have spent the savings on getting the quotes in.

I have also seen an advert that says from 2006 you must have a condensing boiler at a minimum cost, is this the case? and all Rad have to have TRV's. Not sure what they are but just going to look them up. I am sure my old system will not have them.

Please help,

Sponsored Links
16 years is not old depending on what boiler/system you have fitted. But standard advice really, a quote from a reputable company/local should be free and they should visit the house.

Yes all boilers are now condensing, (don't be confused by a combination boiler) with a few exceptions. From an energy efficiency point of view it is not mandatory to fit TRVs. But is good practice now. You should have however a fullly pumped interlock system, via motorised valves or room stat. TRVs basically sense air flow temp thus trying to save you money.

I would set about asking neighbours, friends, family for their experience if any on having a new system.

I mean your fault may just be a motor in a diverter valve, room stat turned up?

From an energy efficiency point of view it is not mandatory to fit TRVs. But is good practice now.

i thought that trv's are a requirement using (chess) basic and best practice to comply with building regs?

Fitting TRVs. It is only a minimum on a SEDBUK D existing system.

Sponsored Links
thanks guys,

I did have someone come roud with a little knowledge and he seemed to think it was not the pump as he could hear it doing stuff when the thermostate was played with and i think I have tried most combinations of getting the boiler to kick in but it just doesnt want to know. It has a pilot light on but that is all it does.

Will engineers come out and give a quote without charging or do most charge to come out. Do they have to see the system before they replace the whole thing?

Hmm someone with a little knowledge? So the pump is ok because he heard it?

As i said earlier, most do free quotes and will look at the system thus justifying a fair price.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back