Shallow domestic drain problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone
I have a situation whereby Im looking to reuse an existing foul water drain to now take soil waste from a new upstairs bathroom at the head of a new drain we are removing the gulley and connecting SVP via a slow bend to the existing v/clay pipe, however on exposing the drain we found its only 150mm from the crown to GL falling to about 250mm at the IC (crown) and incased in concrete for protection so its only shallow set up (that length of exstg drain is about 8ft) this drainage was put in over 20 year ago and has BRegs approval as it was part of a rear bathroom extension, what Im wondering is what are my options to comply with BRegs as I cant go any or much deeper without lowering the IC?.
Just to add to this could someone confirm that if work of this scope was carried out without BC involvement and subsequent approval then it would invalidate the owners house insurance.
Any advice would be much appreciated
Cheers

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If the drain is functioning, why do you want to change it? Just connect to it.

Hi, thanks for answering, the drain is fine but taking sink waste at the moment the problem is that the drain itself is shallow and I want to used to take the new soil waste, it's already been encased in conc from the extension rearrangement years ago but the plumber had a throbosis about whether BC would approve it, so at best leave in and use and ensure adequate protection or at worst remove that 8ft length up to the extg IC go a little lower, fill up and around new length of pipe with compacted pea gravel, put conc flags over as protection then replace the pavings, this detail was in an NHBC leaflet I think addressing shallow drains, I've just never seen it in practice and wanted a bit of advice, cheers

Sponsored Links
For a short section of private drain that is in good condition and been functioning well for 20 years I think BC would be happy to just connect to it.

I would of thought so to jeds as with existing you can only work with what's there, also there is a downstairs wc in the extension as this is the bathroom which goes to the same IC only about 3ft away so I assume this is at the same level - shallow - and therefore the same as, the main pipe further down the yard from the IC I assume must be not too deep itself, cheers jeds for your input as it confirms what I thought, the 2nd question was if this got done without involving BC and therefore no BRegs approval then apart from other things it would invalidate the home owners house insurance in the event of a claim relating to the new layout wouldn't it? Cheers jeds for your time

It won't have any effect on your general house insurance. Maybe if the claim was for sewage emanating from the faulty drain they might ask questions but otherwise it isn't a factor.

Ok mate cheers, that's different to what I've heard to be honest as apparently its classed as non disclosure and unapproved notifiable work subject to BRegs, I read the other day that in one instance insurance wouldn't pay out over leaking pipework in conc floor as it wasn't in conduit and therefore contrary to Regs on a job that was otherwise being carried out to BRegs as the lad was trying to get leverage on putting onus on Building Control which obviously he wasn't able to do

As I say, if the drain itself was the subject of the claim they might be justified in withholding cover - how likely is that? But it wouldn't be justified to use a 20 year old slightly non compliant drain, which was otherwise perfectly safe and functional, as a reason to affect general insurance. If that were true half the housing stock would be uninsured.

Hi jeds I was referring to an issue with the associated plumbing in general by moving the bathroom upstairs not necessarily that drain however that's not to say that issues with that drain is out the question
Cheers

I also have a shallow drain and wish to add a soil pipe (Brett Martin Cascade). The maximum depth of the rest bend invert is 13" (330mm) below ground level. Is this enough so that all of the rest bend is below the surface?

I haven't found a detailed enough drawing of a rest bend anywhere.

I also have a shallow drain and wish to add a soil pipe (Brett Martin Cascade). The maximum depth of the rest bend invert is 13" (330mm) below ground level. Is this enough so that all of the rest bend is below the surface?

Google not working down there? Bless. http://www.knowlesdrainage.co.uk/pr...oryID=11&subcategoryID=18&parentproductID=954
Answer is yes you've got enough depth but you'll need 50mm concrete top cover for the pipe

Google not working down there? Bless. http://www.knowlesdrainage.co.uk/pr...oryID=11&subcategoryID=18&parentproductID=954
Answer is yes you've got enough depth but you'll need 50mm concrete top cover for the pipe

I did find that drawing, thanks, but concluded it was not the right thing.

Here's the Brett Martin B4131 rest bend:
http://www.bjmcardiff.co.uk/UserFiles/images/products/800x800/B4131.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back