Shamima was smuggled in by WESTERN inteligence!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
I saw my Bangladeshi friend last night. He has children just below 21 and one at 22, so he has been through this recently and knows the rules. His children are Bangladeshi citizens. He confirmed they gain that automatically because he is a Bangladeshi citizen himself. His 22 year old Son applied for citizenship when he reached 21 and got it. There are no tricky questions, it is just a formality. The reason is purely practical. They have family in Bangladesh and it just makes it easier to visit. The law is complex and possibly contradictory but this aspect seems clear to me.

I would think the more important thing is the humanitarian issue of the girl being cast adrift. What she did was wrong and I don't accept spurious arguments about being groomed and not knowing what she was up to. She clearly knew what she was doing, and it wasn't spur of the moment. You don't just pack a bag and randomly meet a human trafficker on your doorstep. She clearly researched and planned the trip and knew exactly what she was getting into.

I personally think she approached this wrongly in the first place. Initially she had no remorse and stood by her actions. If she had put her hands up and shown remorse I think things may have turned out differently for her.

So stop saying they don't allow it.
I have consistently said that the law does not allow dual citizenship, but the government may grant exceptions.
Just like UK law does not allow violence, but may grant exceptions. :rolleyes:

I'm trying to set a standard of behaviour for you to follow.
Evidently I'm not having much luck.

What she did was wrong and I don't accept spurious arguments about being groomed and not knowing what she was up to
She was 15 and impressionable.

it’s not a spurious argument, it’s just fact that she was groomed.

I rather doubt somebody rang her up one day and said “hey do you fancy going to Syria to chop the heads off a few people”.

Sponsored Links
I saw my Bangladeshi friend last night. He has children just below 21 and one at 22, so he has been through this recently and knows the rules. His children are Bangladeshi citizens. He confirmed they gain that automatically because he is a Bangladeshi citizen himself. His 22 year old Son applied for citizenship when he reached 21 and got it. There are no tricky questions, it is just a formality. The reason is purely practical. They have family in Bangladesh and it just makes it easier to visit. The law is complex and possibly contradictory but this aspect seems clear to me.
Does he, or they have dual citizenship?
They can have Bangladeshi citizenship, but not dual citizenship, and have permanent leave to remain in UK.
Or their application for citizenship, and thus dual citizenship, was allowed as an exception, which they had to apply for. It's not an automatic entitlement. It may appear automatic because it wasn't problematic, but Bangladesh are perfectly within their rights and law to refuse their application unless they revoked their UK citizenship.

It is for those under 21.
It isn't and I have provided a fair bit of legal evidence that it is not.
Can anyone provide indisputable evidence that dual citizenship is allowed for minors?

Can anyone provide indisputable evidence that dual citizenship is allowed for minors?
I've posted it several times now.

"However, it is abundantly clear that Ms Begum is legally a citizen of Bangladesh until she attains the age of 21 years. Thus, the claims of the Government of Bangladesh and some others that Ms Begum is not a Bangladeshi citizen owing to the fact that she does not hold a Bangladeshi passport or any other proof of citizenship, has never submitted any application for dual nationality, and has never visited Bangladesh, have no legal basis."

At first it appears She's Brit cos she was born here (assuming she was) and she's Bangladeshi as a right, through blood, though Bangla does NOT normally allow dual nationality. They make up the rules as they go along, currently allowing applications from peoiple born here of a Bangla parent.

It's certainly not clear.

Last edited:
Bangladeshi law,

She is not yet 21 so can have dual nationality.

"14. (l) Subject to the provisions of this section if any person is a citizen of Bangladesh under the provisions of this Act, and is at the same time a citizen or national of any other country, he shall, unless he makes a declaration according to the laws of that other country renouncing his status as citizen or national thereof, cease to be a citizen of Bangladesh.

(1A) Nothing in sub-section (1) applies to a person who has not attained twenty-one years of his age."

Bangladeshi law,

She is not yet 21 so can have dual nationality.

"14. (l) Subject to the provisions of this section if any person is a citizen of Bangladesh under the provisions of this Act, and is at the same time a citizen or national of any other country, he shall, unless he makes a declaration according to the laws of that other country renouncing his status as citizen or national thereof, cease to be a citizen of Bangladesh.

(1A) Nothing in sub-section (1) applies to a person who has not attained twenty-one years of his age."
Link?

I've posted it several times now.

"However, it is abundantly clear that Ms Begum is legally a citizen of Bangladesh until she attains the age of 21 years. Thus, the claims of the Government of Bangladesh and some others that Ms Begum is not a Bangladeshi citizen owing to the fact that she does not hold a Bangladeshi passport or any other proof of citizenship, has never submitted any application for dual nationality, and has never visited Bangladesh, have no legal basis."

Your own source disputes your claim:

The Government of Bangladesh is deeply concerned that she has been erroneously identified as a holder of dual citizenship shared with Bangladesh alongside her birthplace, the United Kingdom. Bangladesh asserts that Ms. Shamima Begum is not a Bangladeshi citizen. She is a British citizen by birth and has never applied for dual nationality with Bangladesh. It may also be mentioned that she never visited Bangladesh in the past despite her parental lineage. So, there is no question of her being allowed to enter into Bangladesh.
From your link

Seems abundantly clear to me.

Additionally, because she affirmed (by conduct) allegiance to another (hostile) state, she is disqualified from Bangladeshi citizenship.
Additionally, Article 2B(1)(i) of the Bangladesh Citizenship (Temporary Provisions) Order 1972, states that, a person shall be disqualified from citizenship of Bangladesh if he or she ‘owes, affirms or acknowledges, expressly or by conduct, allegiance to a foreign state’. The Commission in G3 (para 63) has confirmed that, this provision is confined to persons who were alive during the commencement of the that Order in 1972, and the Commission in E3 and N3 (para 69) has also held that in light of the historical context, the aforesaid provision is only concerned ‘with allegiance to a hostile state’.
Again from your link.

Last edited:
Of course they'll claim that, so what? The law is clear.
Evidently, it's not clear, as recognised in your link:
It is understandable why there is so much confusion surrounding the question of Ms Begum’s Bangladeshi citizenship. This is so because the laws and regulations relating to citizenship in Bangladesh are scattered across five separate legal instruments: the Citizenship Act, 1951; Bangladesh Citizenship Rules, 1952; the Bangladesh Citizenship (Temporary Provisions) Order, 1972; Bangladesh Citizenship (Temporary Provisions) Rules, 1978; and the Naturalization Act, 1926, as well as multiple Statutory Regulatory Orders (SROs) issued by the Government. This lack of clarity has largely remained unamended due to a dearth of litigation on citizenship laws and regulations in Bangladesh.

From your link.

Hence my long time assertion that only Bangladesh can interpret its own laws.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back