Shared chimney stack - my half needs restacking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The shared chimney in our semi needs repointing/restacking round our side, with a couple of missing chimney pots too. One roofing company quoted about £2000 to remove the top bricks down to about the 5th course and rebed bricks and match in as appropriate. This quote also includes new chimney pots and new cementing round fillet etc.

A second company said the whole chimney needs to be rebuilt because you can't just do half and it would cost about £4000.

Is this true? The first guy reckoned it could be done if only renewing the first couple of courses of bricks so as to not make the stack too weighted on my neighbour's side and collapse.

My neighbour's side of the chimney looks fine, and as she's a pensioner, I know she won't be prepared or able to go halves to completely renew the whole chimney stack.

I assume the bulk of the cost of this job would be the scaffolding.

Any advice/comments welcome. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
you cannot take down half a chimneystack......its all tied together! you would really have to get your neighbour on board on this one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back