Shared downpipe and ownership of sewer

MJN

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
[I first posted this in the plumbing section but it probably sits better here]

We live in semi-detached house with an inspection chamber for the rainwater sewer at the end of the garden with two inputs and one output.

The two inputs are fed by underground pipes from the rear of our house; the first fed by the downpipe from the garage roof and the second fed by the downpipe from the main house roof.

The guttering from the adjoining semi connects to ours and thus also feeds into this second downpipe so, as far as ownership and responsibility are concerned, does this mean that the underground pipe to the inspection chamber is considered a public sewer by virtue of it serving more than one property? There are no other underground connections.

The context of the question is that we are currently planning an extension to the rear of the house which will be within 3m of this underground pipe and therefore, if public, will require approval from the water authority and associated fees, inspections, etc.

Mathew

Sponsored Links
They say a picture is worth a thousand words so in case my first post was all a bit much here's a diagram:

Drainage.gif

Our property is the red one in the middle and the grey lines are the guttering and downpipes. The underground pipe of interest is the blue one, but I suppose the question is equally applicable to the pink one too given the shared garage guttering.

The proposed extension will occupy the same footprint as the existing conservatory.

I'm open to correction here, but I'd say those sewers are privately owned by your good self. All sewers from the connecting MH onwards are under the ownership of your local water co.

Just give then a call + e-mail you drawing query over to them, hopefully they can clarify.

The pink one is clearly private.

With regards to the blue one I suppose it could be down to interpretation of the rules but IMO it is not private and would technically need a Build Over.

http://www.water.org.uk/home/policy/private-sewers-transfer/customer-info

It is also my opinion to first contact Building Control before the water company, I have had projects proceed whereby BC were happy to not insist on a Build Over when strictly speaking one was necessary, especially where it is not on the main run. That’s not to say they won’t also insist on a BO but always worth a try before you open the can of worms.

Sponsored Links
Thanks both for the responses.

The pink one is clearly private.
It might not be clear from my diagram but the garage guttering extends to the neighbour's garage too (i.e. same as the house guttering in the other direction) and so again it could be argued to 'serve more than one property'..?

It is also my opinion to first contact Building Control before the water company, I have had projects proceed whereby BC were happy to not insist on a Build Over when strictly speaking one was necessary, especially where it is not on the main run. That’s not to say they won’t also insist on a BO but always worth a try before you open the can of worms.
Thats seems like sound advice and I'll do just that. At the very least they can hopefully provide an independent view on what I intend to be a pragmatic approach. There's always the danger that if I go straight to the water company they might have to insist 'rules are rules' although from what I've read elsewhere there is some evidence to suggest they can consider each case on its merits.

Thanks again,

Mathew

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back