Sharpening hedge trimmer blades

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old Bosch hedge trimmer electric powered. It has been about 7-8 years since new, and used a lot.
It is quite heavy, but the long blades are useful reaching out to the thick hedge tops.
Being electric powered, the chord is problematic. The chord had been cut twice while operating by mistake {in the heavyily grown bushes and shurbs, the electric power chord droops down into the bushes, and hides away making accidental cut to happen), and I saw huge sparks from the blade and the electric power chord when cut. But I rejoined the cut chord with rubber tape, and it worked OK.

Now I see the blade is definitely getting blunt after 7-8 years of constant use cutting my own hedges, but also the neighbors and my daughter's hedges sometimes.

I am wondering, if I must sharpen the blade, and if I did sharpen the blades, would it make any improvements in the cuttings. or cut hedges?
Would it be worthwhile time and effort investing into sharpening the old hedge trimmer blades? The timmer is still working fine, and seems it will keep on working for many more years. It has a good powerful motor.

Sponsored Links
As you'll be aware, sharpening these blades DIY style is a no go.
So, you can either get them professionally ground or buy a new ebay set or similar.
The difference between new and sharp is quite dramatic!
John :)

Yeah, on the other hand, I was also thinking of getting a new hedge trimmer. The LI-On battery 18V or 20V 40V or even 60V battery operated hedge trimmers seem getting very popular.

I have been watching a 60V battery opereated hedge trimmer on Amazon, but when I went to buy it, they hiked the priced by £20 :( , making over budget for me. So I will just use the old Bosch trimmer, or will look for something else in better price. :(

Sponsored Links
I have been watching a 60V battery opereated hedge trimmer on Amazon, but when I went to buy it, they hiked the priced by £20 :( , making over budget for me. So I will just use the old Bosch trimmer, or will look for something else in better price. :(
Ive noticed this quite a bit on Amazon and ebay, things come up in a search engine cheap to catch your eye but when directed to the page its either much more expensive or shows other items not related to original search.
Post a picture of your blades

Last edited:
I just use a diamond impregnated sharpening stone to dress out the knicks and bumps the blade collects. just dont try and remove too much, it should work for you.

Yes, it was really taking off the blades from the trimmer seemed tricky job than actual sharpening work. Once many year ago, I used have an old petrol engined "Mountfield"?? hedge trimmer which was working well. I took it apart to take off the blades to sharpen, but couldn't put them back together. The gear box content just spilled out like pack of sand onto the floor with all the wee gears and screws and bolts nuts. The machine is still in bits in a box lying in the shed :(
I didn't want that to happen to the Bosch. The blades of the Bosch not too bad, it just has a few nicks on the edge after chewing the copper wires disguised and mingled with the bushes and weeds. It still cuts great, but was wondering if it will cut even better with the sharpened blade giving that sharp lines and edges around the cut privet hedge.

For sure, I manually grind or file out any damage incurred by the odd stone or wire etc - but if the ends of the blade teeth are rounded heavily then it's ready for a regrind.
For privet work particularly, a nicely sorted pair of new blades makes a hell of a difference, particularly if they are adjusted correctly so there is minimal clearance between them. Gone are the days of hedge jamming the teeth up!
The gearbox for these machines is complex, but quite straightforward and grease lubrication helps a lot. Some machines have a grease nipple (which does work to an extent) others need the sole plate removed so you can manually grease inside. Always invert and support the machine if you attempt this as the weight of the blade nicely lifts all of the innards out :mad:
Often I'm shocked by the volume of water in there too!
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back