Shed base built by contractor looks very sandy and rough.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,
I know there are lots of questions about bases but none that answers my exact question.
Bit worried as we've had a base built yesterday and it looks a bit dodgy. The chap was going to put slabs down but decided as the ground is very soggy he should do a slab.
It's 10 w x 12ft long. Grass was cleared.Very little hard core went down if any. Sand about 2-3inches went on top. I have only found 1 nearly empty bag of cement. Fine gravelly ballast with sand was used but not sure what ratio. After a frosty night uncovered I looked to see and it is very very sand coloured. Not grey concrete. It has a rough gravelly crumby surface and is far from smooth. It it also not level in any particular direction. One end where he started seems firm but other is soft. He said not to remove shuttering ever and wait for it to rot. Am I worrying un-necessarily? the patio he built isn't brilliant either but he's a nice chap and he's hard-up as he keeps asking for money. we've paid half £1750 so far for patio and base.
What to say to him if anything.....?
Please help. Why do I always get these dodgy people?

Sponsored Links
It will take a few days for concrete to go off to the point you're not able to pick at it. I'd give it a week at least in this weather.

If it's a really poor ratio keep it damp for as long as you can (a month?). A watering can will help, just don't let it start to dry out. A roll of DPC/vapour barrier helps too.

Pleasant chap or not, he should have used at least 4 bags of cement. Ask him why he did not. As a shed base it might do providing the shed has its own floor and the bearers are put down very carefully and how much weight you are intending to put in it.
FWIW, I helped a mate put up a precast concrete shed. I was having a problem with one panel, so I put a crowbar under one corner of it to lift it a bit and a corner about 3' down each end broke off the base. The base mix was done by one of those "we mix, you barrow" outfits.
Frank

Sponsored Links
He left 1 nearly empty bag of cement. That doesn't mean he didn't use 3 others and just left the remnants of the 4th for you to do what you like with.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back