Shed Base, timber bearer support spacing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've ordered a new 12 width x 8 depth shed, it's floor has the joists running depth ways.

I want to support it with 3x2? 3.6m length tanalised timber bearers sitting on concrete blocks running width ways.

So thinking of 6 bearers at 48cm depths giving 0, 48 , 96, 144, 192, 240cm

What spacing of the concrete blocks would I need under the bearers width ways ? I was thinking of 4 per bearer (ie every 4 foot), would that be OK ? Or should I use 4x2 bearers?

Shed will be used for normal garden stuff, nothing really heavy.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
my suggestion is support in a 600mm grid and line the floor with 12mm ply or osb for extra strength

OK so support the 3x2 every 600mm that would require 7 concrete blocks per bearer, seems quite a lot and a pain to level all those - if I went for 4x2 what sort of spacing would that require ?

thinking sideways
what space is the timber on the floor ??
there is only load where floor timber touches so thats the only point that need support
are you aware you are limited to 2.5m within 2m off the boundary to avoid the need to get planning permission
the 2.5 is from the natural ground level the shed will cover
so any structure underneath will increase shed height
what height does the bumf say ??

Sponsored Links
Not sure of the spacing of timber on the shed floor as it's not arrived yet but its 28mmx44mm batons I think.

Ridge height is 2545mm !! so your right don't really want to take it any higher.

Yes, I've seen those bases also.

Going to go with concrete I think.

Thanks for the replies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back