Shed Base - what to do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

I've got an area of even concrete at the back of my garden and I'd like to put a shed on it. Any suggestions/advice as to how I can stop the water seeping in underneath? I suppose I'm asking, I've got my foundations, what do I use as a base??

Cheers

Dan

Sponsored Links
Sheds generally sit on battens of timber, so unless water really puddles on this concrete, then it should be ok, assuming the concrete is level. My shed sits on old patio slabs which have simply been dotted and dabbed onto the ground, 4 years, no problems yet.

(Confess if I'd done it I wouldn't have done it this way, but hey, it seems ok)

I have 2 sheds, a small potting shed built from a kit, and a large shed/workshop I built from scratch

Small shed is laid on treated softwood battens on top of a slab base (which in turn is laid on 2-inch drymix)

Large shed has a base frame made of 2x6 treated joists and this frame is supported on 6 small brick piles with slates on top to level the frame and provide protection against rising damp

OK...

These battens, do they sit inside the bottom lip of the shed, within the interior providing a floor or are they used as a slightly larger base, that the shed sits on top of?

I have access to a load of wooden palettes. I could fix these together and cover them over with some astroturf and then lay the shed on top. What do you reckon?

Thanks for the replies btw...

Sponsored Links
If the shed framing is either level or slightly larger than the concrete base the cladding will cause rain to run past the base therefore stopping water getting in.

You could use paving slabs approximately every 200mm spaced out bedded down onto the base to the internal size of your shed to allow the rain to run through the gap underneath.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

We've settled on a brick surround, filling that with a mix of sharp sand and cement to create a raised floor of tapped in paving slabs. that will serve as the inside floor. The shed will sit over the paving slabs, but on the brick, we should then easily be able to direct water run off onto the concrete base below.

If it doesn't, you could use dpc under the bottom cladding over the base to direct the rainwater.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back