Shed Electrics for the stupid

You could argue that. You could also argue that the world is flat, but it wouldn't make it so.

You're allowed to replace a damaged cable for a single circuit only.

If push came to shove, I don't think that trying to claim that your rewire was actually a series of individual replacements of entire circuits where each cable in them got damaged in a series of individual and unrelated accidents over the space of a few days would work....

Sponsored Links
Well, I was thinking along the lines of say fire damage.

Maybe I'm misintepreting what you're saying, but apart from replacing the CU (i.e. distribution of circuits) you would still be repairing a single circuit thereafter.

It doesn't matter anyway, it's down to the author of this thread whether he decides to apply or not. I'm guessing many would take the risk. At the end of the day how can it be proved? Different colour cable? Big deal, that has been on sale since part way through 2004 when the harmonisation transistion period started with europe.

Hallsy said:
Well, I was thinking along the lines of say fire damage.
If fire damage results in the need to replace the cable for more than one circuit, the work is notifiable.

Maybe I'm misintepreting what you're saying, but apart from replacing the CU (i.e. distribution of circuits) you would still be repairing a single circuit thereafter.
If you look at the definition of "circuit" it is quite clear that whatever starts at an MCB is a circuit, so if there's more than one MCB in the CU then there's more than one circuit.

It doesn't matter anyway, it's down to the author of this thread whether he decides to apply or not. I'm guessing many would take the risk. At the end of the day how can it be proved? Different colour cable? Big deal, that has been on sale since part way through 2004 when the harmonisation transistion period started with europe.
All perfectly true. Plus what is the risk of ever being caught and having to prove or not when you did the work.

The only real snag comes on selling the property. Even without the much trumpeted Seller's Pack, buyer's solicitors ask questions about whether any work has been done that needs Building Regulations approval, whether it got it etc. If the seller lies, and somehow that fact does come to light, they could be in trouble. If they tell the truth (probably best) then they need to budget for a PIR.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back