shed project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi to all...well i am now to embark on a big shed/cabin for my other half's childminding stuff...found a cabin 20' x 10' 13mmt&g, 3x2 framework, 2x2 floor bearers with 16mm planking for the floor. The roof is board with mineralfelt covering..all treated etc.
Will plan to fit electrics etc but my question has two aprts.
1. Water supply. I do have an outside tap connected straight to my mains from the house. Can i run water from that in some form of pipework?
What do i do about drainage at the cabin end ...
2. Insulation of the cabin ...can i use sheet insulation between the framework and then use 8mm t&g cladding on the inside ? ( i like the cladding more than the boards...
All a bit new to me so would like to get it right in my head before i start..
Thanks for reading !! :confused: :confused: :confused:

Sponsored Links
Are you intending to connect a rubber hose to the outside tap for the water supply? I reckon you will need a plumbed in pipe incase and nastys crawl into the pipe whilst your filling the kids paddling pool, washing the car etc.

How far is the shed from the property. what are the current arrangements for draining waste water from the house.

Are you planning on heating the shed? Insulation will keep warmth in but not heat it up in there.

Hi , thanks for reply.
I was planning to run a pipe from the mains in the blue pvc material, underground (letters escape me for what the pipe is called), terminating at the cabin. Only cold water with a seperate small heater to power some hot water. Length around 20-25 mtrs.
Does this require some form of planning permission in its own right ?
The heating will be via electric heaters , either some form of wall heaters or the heated bar type from the ceiling.
Regarding the insulation, is what i thought ok re the sheet insulation material with a second t&g internqal layer.
Waste is more of a tricky issue. i can't see it generating too much waste water. So i thought in a similar way to caravans have the 'WasteHog' type water containers...i could use one of those?
but really my main conerns/thoughts are around the water supply an planning/restrictions ? :confused:

The building is under 30m2 so is in permisable development, providing you arnt in a conservation area or building over 50% of your garden etc. I dont think the water is notifiable but the electrical work will be, or using an approved electrician will cover that.

hopefully someone else can offer more concise advice.

Sponsored Links
Big Rob....thanks for help...water is a mystery to me...!!!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back