Shed roof repair guidance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Storm Ali has wrecked my shed's felt. Well, to be honest its been needing attention for a year or two and the roof's OSB board under the felt has rot/damp so I guess a proper job is to replace the whole roof.
Are there any better alternatives to using board and felt I should consider? clear corrugated plastic would add light, but I don't know what I would do at the peak (where the two faces meet along the top)...
Thanks for any advice (y)

Sponsored Links
You could use sheet material like ply/osb, or planks (sarking boards). OSB is fine so long as it stays dry. Worth thinking about the dimensions of the roof and what size the materials come in, OSB is 2.4x1.2m (not 8'x4')

The clear plastic (pvc) is ok but tends to go brittle with the UV after a while
You can get cheap felt and better quality felt

Steel sheets (corrugated or box profile) will last a lifetime but cost more than felt. You get a flashing for covering the ridge.

Cheers scbk. Found this useful website and like the sound of EPDM. My little shed has two roof faces of 2m x 1m each, so a couple of decent replacement boards and a single piece of EPDM seems like the best plan unless anyone can convince me such would be folly...

If it helps you a little, I refelted my sheds and the job did not last well. Second attempt is lasting better.

Replace the wood as necessary then a layer of underlay for felt nailed. Second layer of underlay glued (make sure joints do not coincide) adhesive was from wickes probably something like this one https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Trowel-On-Roofing-Felt-Adhesive-5L/p/164135. Third layer your actual felt glued and nailed as necessary round the edges (on the sides).

I can't remember if the layers of underlay overlapped or not but the felt does overlap.

Sponsored Links
For me it was 18mm ply from the local wood yard, cut to size to overhang about 6" around the edge of the shed. This was then fixed to the shed with 80mm screws. I then got some rolls of 4mm or 5mm thick roofing felt from Gumtree, rolled it across tightly and nailed it onto the edge of the board. No need to get fancy timber and if you shop around or look at places selling over-ordered felt, it can be done fairly cheaply.

As long as the ply stays dry from the felt, it'll last years and won't get blown off (ooh matron).

Last edited:
Well this job escalated quickly! Being an impatient type I set about it this morning, and after ripping the roof off I checked the flooring and decided it also needs to be replaced due to damp (see first photo). So now I have a roofless shed balanced on a few bricks in the corners and am wondering what to do next :confused:
I have a cement & slab base and think I'd be better off without another wooden base, so am going to lay a course of bricks (while the shed hovers above) to keep the shed above any dampness. Measuring it out and ensuring its square will be challenging! Then (next weekend I imagine) I'll fit 9mm ply sheets to the roof.
I definitely like the EPDM idea, but as you can see from the photo, the space is really tight and I can't reach the sides to secure the EPDM or felt to the lower edge of the ply. Anyone got any ideas or recommendations for what to use if the lower edge isn't secured, and/or how to reach those edges? The shed definitely wont take my weight, and there isn't space to swing a hammer down there (a primary contributor to why the first shed roof failed)
Cheers
sEvI8vV.jpg
ecxnqfJ.jpg
2oq0EeU.jpg

With the help of a couple of mates, take down that fence behind the shed or if you have the space, lift the shed into a spacious area and do the roof properly with EPDM.
If you stand it on a couple of bricks first you can then insert battens underneath and use them as stretcher bearers to lift the shad back into situ. You will then be able to do the floor at leisure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back