Shed Verandah pd?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning a build based on something like this:

I read that Verandahs are a no-no under permitted development. However, is that for when the deck is above 30cm off the ground or not? E.g. if I keep my deck top under 30cm, will this be ok under pd?

I've read the permitted Dev on here:
and the official govt guidance. This Verandah is the only bullet I'm stuck on which I want to include.

If it's not, how about a deck with a pergola? Or a separate gazebo right next to the shed but not attached? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
I would add that I also intend to mount 8x 1mx1.8m solar PV panels on the roof. Not sure if this has any bearing on the height or not though.

Sponsored Links
Personally I think the terminology of the permitted dev vs the name of the item that you are looking at is causing the confusion here. To me what you are looking at building is essentially a shed/summerhouse and a covered seating area just with a fancy name called "verandah". My interpretation is that providing what you are building doesnt have a raised platform i.e. not a regular deck almost level with the grass but something that might cause you to be overlooking neighbours youll be ok - but sometimes you can call your local authority for free to double check...

• Is planning permission required for my summerhouse?​

• The majority of summerhouses and garden rooms do not require planning permission. However, permission is required for any summerhouse which covers over half the garden, which is not for domestic use or which is over 3 metres high with a pent roof or 4 metres high with an apex roof. Larger summerhouses which are within 2 metres of a boundary and over 2.5m high (8'2") require planning permission. Some larger summerhouses with apex or hipped roof designs may be over 2.5m high. Planning permission may also be required for any summerhouse which is nearer to a public highway than the original dwelling. For planning purposes a public highway includes any road or footpath with a public right of way. If you live in a Conservation Area or a Listed Building permission may be required for any garden building over 10 cubic metres. This brief summary is not intended to be a comprehensive guide. Contact us for further advice or contact your local planning department. Please note that planning regulations apply to any building whether temporary or permanent including summerhouses.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back