Veranda Permitted development query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi People,

Can anybody clear this up for me.

I am currently looking to extend out at the rear of my property (single story extension only) and half of the extension will be just a covered yard (i.e. the roof will continue across from the extension and cover the yard.

The roof will be sloped not flat, but I am concerned that this may be classed as a veranda hence not permitted development? Or would this just be classed as a covered yard?

As an example I have done a very rough model, but basically the cover yard area, what would it be classed as, and would it be covered under PD?

BTW I also realise i may have issues with the rending colour/material, but one step at a time ay :)

Thanks
Bobby
AtAFzHk.png

Sponsored Links
ASSUMING YOU ARE IN ENGLAND!!!

Will my home benefit from PD rights?

Most likely yes, but there are a few things to bear in mind. Unfortunately, the slate is not wiped clean when you buy a home — any space added by past owners since 1948 counts towards your PD allocation. Alternatively, if you’re planning to self build a replacement dwelling and your proposed new home is bigger than the existing house on site, then your PD rights are likely to be restricted or even removed on condition of granting planning permission.

My home benefits from PD rights, how far can I extend?
Under the rules, the ‘original’ (as it stood in or prior to 1948) rear wall of a detached home can be extended (subject to the neighbour consultation scheme) by up to 8m in depth with a single storey extension; this is reduced to 6m if you live in a semi or terrace. If your proposed new extension will be within 2m of a boundary, then the eaves height is limited to 3m under PD. Otherwise, a single storey rear extensions must be no higher than 4m.

If you hope to build a two storey extension (no higher than the house), this can project up to 3m from the original rear wall, so long as it is at least 7m from the rear boundary. It’s also important to note that no extension can project beyond or be added to what is deemed to be the front of the house or an elevation which affronts the highway. And a side extension can not make up more than half your house’s width.

Furthermore, with the exception of conservatories, new extensions must be built of materials ‘similar in appearance’ and with the same roof pitch as the main house. So while PD rights are beneficial, there’s a lot to consider before starting work.

Is there anything else I can do under my PD rights?
In the past volume limitations were applied to the entire house — so if you extended, you were unlikely to be able to convert your loft under PD rights as well. The good news is that the latter has now been separated out, allowing you to undertake both without one restricting the other. So, you can also convert your loft into a bedroom or extra living space by up to 50m³ in a detached house, or by 40m³ within any other home. Flush rooflights or those which do not project further than 150mm are permitted, but you will need permission to add a dormer window on any roof elevation which faces the highway.

However, you cannot cover more than 50% of the land around your house with extensions (including extensions by previous owners), and you have to include any outbuildings when calculating this coverage. Sheds and other outbuildings count in this calculation.

Improvements: What you can do
  • Build a porch.
  • Carry out internal alterations.
  • Convert and occupy the loft space.
  • Install microgeneration equipment such as solar panels (apart from wind turbines).
  • Install satellite dishes.
  • Erect antenna.
  • Put in rooflights or dormer windows.
  • Put in new doors or windows.
  • Extend the back of your home.
  • All subject to design constraints; e.g. porch has to be less than 3m³, rooflights and dormers must not face the highway, etc.
Extensions: What You Can Do
  • You can extend a detached dwelling by 8m to the rear if it’s single storey or 3m if it’s double.
  • There are height restrictions but they boil down to a single storey extension not being higher than 4m in height to the ridge and the eaves, and ridge heights of any extension not being higher than the existing property.
  • Two storey extensions must not be closer than 7m to the rear boundary.
  • It must be built in the same or similar material to the existing dwelling.
  • Extensions must not go forward of the building line of the original dwelling.
  • Side extensions must be single storey, maximum height of 4m and a width no more than half of the original building.
  • In Designated Areas side extensions require planning permission and all rear extensions must be single storey.
  • An extension must not result in more than half the garden being covered.
  • You can only do it once and the original building is either as it was on 1st July 1948 or when it was built. In Northern Ireland it is as it was built or as it was on 1st October 1973.
Outbuildings: What you can do
  • You can construct all sorts of outbuildings for the use and enjoyment of the home so long as they do not cover more than 50% of the garden space. In Scotland this is reduced to 30%.
  • In Wales and Northern Ireland any outbuildings closer to the house than 5m count as extensions. In Scotland any outbuildings larger than 4m² and closer to the dwelling than 5m count as extensions.
  • Outbuildings must be single storey with a maximum ridge height of 4m for a pitched roof or 3m for any other kind of roof. The eaves height must be no more than 2.5 metres.
  • If the outbuilding is closer to the boundary than 2m it shall be no higher than 2.5m.
  • No outbuilding can be forward of the original dwelling. In Wales and Northern Ireland the same applies unless the resulting building would be more than 20m from the road.

Sponsored Links
The veranda is the platform, which may or may not have a roof. No platform = no veranda.

Hey! You've just invented a new building feature: Noveranda!

thanks for all the replies people.

I did think that the term Veranda was a little strange. I have always been brought up knowing a veranda as a covering, but reading up it seems as you all state its a covered raised area. So seeing that this is simply a covered patio that's not raised, this would be covered under PD?

Regarding the appearance, is it sensible (seeing that its a single story only and nearly 90% glass) to simply lime render the pillars, and if anybody complains try and retrospectively attain planning? Or would people advise against this?

Thanks again

bobby

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back