Permitted Development or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a house with an extension built in the 60's, there is a two story side extension that starts at the front of the house but doesnt go all the way to the rear, and a single story rear extension. Basically i'd like to extend the two story side extension to go all the way back, and then extend the single story slightly to cover the full width of the property.

I've attached a very professional image (Paint skills are brilliant!) showing what i'm proposing, the new building in yellow!

Question here is, does the extension of the two story side extension fall under permitted development or not? Its within the guidelines in terms of not taking up more than 50% of the available land and doesn't extend more than 3m from the original house, but after reading the guidelines i'm unclear on whether the two story side extension can be done under permitted development.

Any help would be appreciated as always.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Property.png
    Property.png
    10.8 KB · Views: 163
Sponsored Links
Its not permitted development.

the 2 storey bit could be if it is far enough from the boundary.

The single storey bit isnt whatever you do..... I think

thanks for the quick reply. I thought single story would have been, what makes you say its not? And the current extension is right up to the boundary with our neighbors, which from your comment makes me think that alone has to go through planning?

None of what you propose would be permitted development - you would need to make a planning application.

Sponsored Links
I think it's because if you extend an extension, they consider the whole thing to be new (even though some is old).

Ok thanks for your replies. To submit planning application do I need to have plans drawn by an architect?

Ok thanks for your replies. To submit planning application do I need to have plans drawn by an architect?
No, not at all; a local architectural technician will do the job - probably more clued up and cheaper as well.
You also need someone who is up to speed on local planning policy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back